Suggestions on next extract batch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballbuster

Reaction score
Just bottled my first extract batch. Any input on a good batch to do next? Want to do about 4 or 5 extract kits before I start getting into the AG brewing.

Do another extract batch. I am 9 days behind you but I already have another extract kit that I got with my Coopers Microbrewery kit. My next extract kit purchases I am leaning towards AHS Blue Moon / New Castle Clone. Check out the extract kits that the vendors offer and I'm sure you will find something fun to try next.

Brew the kind of beer you like. Personally, I like IPA's so that's what I would recommend.

That would be my suggestion, too. If you like Fat Tire, make a Fat Tire clone. If you like English Brown ales, make that. All of the bigger online homebrew stores have excellent kits. I've personally made some of the ones at Austinhomebrew ($6.99 shipping) including their Pete's Wicked Ale clone. They have clones of commercial beers, as well as "style" kits. You can do ANY extract kit with steeping grains, since they come with all that you need and very good instructions.

Northern Brewer has a very tasty dry stout extract kit. I did one of those for the AHA Teach a friend to homebrew day a couple years ago and I'm doing it again this November. Everyone likes a good dry stout, right? :D

You could also research some of the recipes on the site and make a brew from them rather than a kit. Also step up to steeping grains or a partial mash to start working on your temperature control.

However, I agree continue to brew the beer you like to drink otherwise what is the point.

Yeah I was just thinking that I should do a couple more extract kits just to gain a little more confidence and further my brewing knowledge to avoid screwing up a good batch. I do have local brewers that can help me out though, so I might lean on the friends a little bit to make a partial mash brew. What is a dry stout anyway?

Just bottled my first extract batch. Any input on a good batch to do next? Want to do about 4 or 5 extract kits before I start getting into the AG brewing.

I've not yet moved into AG. I think the point at which one should move into AG is after you've really gotten a grasp on how everything is working. Basically, extract brewing is taking an important part of the process and doing it for you. But there's still a lot to know in terms of the process. Once everything else is locked down, then move to AG.

Back