Taste difference when backsweetening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franknferter

Reaction score
Can anyone explain the difference in taste when backsweetening with Apple Juice, Apple Juice Concentrate, Spelnda, and Lactose? Or if people have used other ingredients to do it. I have to bottle as I do not have a kegging system and I am familiar with the stovetop pasteurization process.

I don't use unfertmentable sugars as I find they leave a strange chemical taste so can't help you there. Juice and juice concentrate will result in a more appley, fruity flavors in the finished product with the main difference being that juice will dilute the ABV in the cider more than concentrate. I've also used/tried ciders backsweetened with sugar, but straight sugar, while sweet, doesn't taste like natural fruit sweetness IMO.

I have to bottle some cider today so im trying to figure out the best way to go about doing it. It seems that alot of people have had success with stovetop pasteurization method, but im leaving town tomorrow afternoon and have to take it all with me, do you think it will be safe to travel four hours in a car about 24hrs after bottling? I can pasteurize them saturday or sunday if nessecery.

Back