Beerswap 2007 cnbudz's beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c.n.budz

Reaction score
Well, My beers shipped to Evan!, Pirate Ale, and Joebou4860 today. Everyone got a Brown Ale and 3 APAs (and some bonus local micros) Hopefully you guys like them and don't tear me a new one if you don't... Seriously though, please be honest it's the only way I'll learn:mug:

I am having an APA and I am enjoying it but i will save the full analysis until I try one on mon or tues after they have a chance to relax after the long trip.

Alright...first things first: the APA (I've had two so far)

Uncapping / Pouring / Aesthetics:
The fill on all these bottles is definitely low. A suggestion in the future: add another 3/4". If you're using a bottling wand, stop---they don't allow the control you need. Anyway...the hiss was pretty forceful, and the pour produced quite a bit of foam---to the top of my big goblet. I believe this is a result of the extra oxygen in the headspace, but I can't be sure. The color on the first bottle was a weird cloudy pink-rust color...but they'd just arrived in the mail that afternoon. The second one I tried on Saturday morning during my Meph brew session looked much better. Still pretty cloudy, but a nicer orange color. The foam also wasn't quite as huge on the second bottle.

Aroma: Ah, I love the smell of extract in the morning ;) . Yeah, the nose on this one is unmistakably malt extract. I can't pinpoint the exact smell, but I know it when I smell it---I've done plenty just like that. Not a bad thing, but obvious. There is a little bit of hop aroma, but I'd like to have smelled more. This could use some dry-hopping or some more late hop additions. But the nose, nonetheless, is Pale Ale, and it's squeaky clean.

Palate: Wow. I mean...wow. What yeast did you use for this? If I didn't know what this was, I would bet a LOT of money that you added cloves and perhaps allspice. I mean, I've actually added cloves to a pumkin beer before, and even that didn't have the same dominance of cloves as this beer does. I'm floored, absolutely floored. There's also a bit of savory something, like allspice. For an APA, it's not what I'd expect...but for a spiced beer? Oh yeah...excellent. None of the extract twang, very subtle bitterness and hoppiness, but the overwhelming flavor here, throughout the palate, is cloves. Cool!

Proximity to the Style: Way off. You should call this clove brew. :rockin:

Overall Impression: The nose is not the most exciting thing in the world, but you can tell that it's a well-made beer. It could use some more clarifying time to get rid of some of the cloudiness, but that's a minor detail. But overall, I love this beer---not as an APA, but as a specialty spice beer. I love cloves, so I love this beer. I doubt you actually added cloves to an APA, so I'm chalking this one up to the yeast, whatever it was that you used. The rest of the profile is pretty clean and crisp, and I must say that it was refreshing to drink at 9am while my stout was boiling down. I know it's probably not what you were going for with an APA, but hey, whatever works...

Oh, and next time, don't sell yourself so short. Humility will only get you so far. This is a well-made brew, regardless of its proximity to the style. :mug:

Alright, here we go! APA

Loud pfft, real big head that dissipated but not completely. The first one was cloudy but I rushed it due to the excitement. The second one was better. Not crystal clear but I'm sure they still need to settle a little from the trip or....maybe not (see palate notes) color was on the darker side for a pale but right in line for an extract brew.

Aroma: Subtle hop aroma. smelled good though, inviting

Palate: The first time I tried this I thought that I did not give it enough time to settle. After the weekend I was maybe thinking you used a Wit yeast. The clove taste is unmistakeable. Very tasty beer.

Proximity to the Style:the color, ABV and IBU's may be in line with a pale but the spiciness deviates from the category

Overall Impression: People are very susceptible to the power of suggestion. When I opened, poured and began to drink this beer I thought I was going to have a tradional APA. I wasted 1/4 of the beer trying to wrap my mind around the beverage sitting in my glass. This is my problem, not one of brewing quality. Once I realized it wasnt what I thought it was going to be I very much enjoyed it for the beer it is. I really liked this beer and would suggest posting the recipe.

disclaimer: I copied evan!'s template and removed the quotes, I hope he doesnt sue me

joebou4860 said:
disclaimer: I copied evan!'s template and removed the quotes, I hope he doesnt sue me

My legal representation is drawing up the papers as we speak. I can always call him off if you agree to pay me royalties, though...:D

The APA was the first recipe I made up myself with Beersmith. I used wyeast 1056 on it. I'll dig out the recipe when I get home, maybe one of you guys can figure out where the clove taste came from... Glad you've enjoyed them so far:mug:

Brown Ale

Good carb sound upon opening. A solid pour yeilded a very nice head which retreated to 1/4 inch which stayed for the duration. Perfect color for a Brown ale looks great.

Aroma: very nice aroma. good hint at the flavors to come

Palate: This is a good brown. The grains lend good flavors without going overboard

Proximity to the Style:Dead on balls accurate (it's an industry term)

Overall Impression: I can understand why your friends ignored the "DO NOT DRINK" note. This is a good solid brown that I would be proud to serve and happy to drink.

Next up: the Brown Ale

Another low fill, IMHO, and a rather forceful hiss at uncapping, but the pour was nice and the head was manageable. Larger bubble size/matrix, with a slight bone color---perfect for a brown. The color is a nice woody brown...approaching opaque towards the center of the glass, but nice brown leading to burgundy colors towards the edge.

Aroma: Malt-o-riffic. This is precisely why I love brown ales. Deliciously malty, yeasty, nutty character, with hints of caramel and fresh biscuits poking through. Slightly roasted nose fading in and out...got more prevalent as the temp rose.

Palate: A fine, refreshing beverage! Nice weight...smooth mouthfeel, with all those roasty, nutty, bready characteristics from the nose following through to the palate. Also getting hints of chocolate malt, which I'm suspecting was used. I get no extract twang whatsoever, which is a great feat in extract beers as far as I'm concerned. The complexity lacks a bit, as there is no hop flavor to speak of, but that could be fixed with some late additions. You don't want too much in a brown, of course, but this brew could definitely handle some.

Proximity to the Style: Spot-on.

Overall Impression: Very clean, flawless brew. Well-done; everything I'm looking for from a nice mellow brown. This is one style I haven't tackled yet, but I'd love to produce something of this quality. The only suggestions would be some more flavoring hops (just a touch more), and maybe a specialty yeast to add some complexity.

Thanks for the brews, cnbudz. Loved every minute of it. The Old Marley Barleywine was awesome stuff, and the Old Hag was hops in a can...very yummy!

Anyway...thanks again...you make damn good brew. :mug:

Back