WLP299 Persica

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this one of the proprietary strains from a brew shop? Never heard of it

Have used it twice in a pale ale and a blonde ale. Worked well. Feel like its similar to 001. Maybe a little of the peach fruitiness they mentioned but overall pretty clean. I did ferment in the low-mid 60s. According to the website it seems like it is ok much warmer than that. Not sure I'm brave enough to try at those temps though.

299 is in my lineup of things to try, just have not gotten that far on the list yet

Have used it twice in a pale ale and a blonde ale. Worked well. Feel like its similar to 001. Maybe a little of the peach fruitiness they mentioned but overall pretty clean. I did ferment in the low-mid 60s. According to the website it seems like it is ok much warmer than that. Not sure I'm brave enough to try at those temps though.

I'll let you know...when I went to check fermentation temps this morning, this thing was CHUGGING away violently and brought itself up to 75*. Hotter than I ferment any of my ales. Gradually brought it down to 68*.

According to White Labs, recommended temperature range for this yeast is 68-78*. I'd say this batch will have some esters! Should go nice with the galaxy hops and simple grain bill though! :mug:

According to White Labs, recommended temperature range for this yeast is 68-78*.
I thought the label said 70°-78°.

I finally got around to using this this weekend. Fermentation seemed to be really active last night at around 76° but slowed down overnight when the temp dropped to 68°. I'm gonna try to keep it in the mid 70's to try to get that peach flavor out.

I'm brewing an APA tomorrow and have the option of using WLP001 or WLP299. I know 001 is notorious for being clean and bringing out hop flavors, but the peach/apricot flavors of 299 are appealing to me too. I'm using Falconer's Flight for the first time and I'm torn on which yeast to use.

If I think about it logically, using 001 will allow me the opportunity to see what the FF hops are all about and get a better understanding of the flavor/aroma characteristics.

On the other hand, it sounds like the 7c's blend would make a delicious APA when paired with 299.

Recommendations anyone?

I really like the 299. I personally think that in an ale with little to no crystal malt (i used it in Jamils APA recipe, and again in that recipe with a half pound of c40) it really is nice. It adds maybe just a little something extra. Then again if this is attempting to be a single variable experiment maybe go with the 001 so you know the flavors you are getting in the glass are due to the hops and not yeast derived.

Maybe if you've got the ability, due a split batch, half with 001 and the other half with 299.

I decided to go with the 299. Coincedentally, I also used half a pound of c40 in my recipe. I harvested 299 from a batch I made back in May that had astringency issues, so I couldn't make a fair assessment of it then. The yeast looked and smelled good, so I pitched it to a last minute starter. The carboy fermentation was sluggish to start, but as of this morning seems to be chugging along pretty good.

When I used ff a few times it had a subtle peach/apricot note so if that's what you ant the two might compliment each other.

I just brewed with it last night and I was a llittle shocked at how mild the yeast behaves. For starters, it didnt really seem to get wild and aggressive like other strains while in the first starter. Didnt really have an overt, yeasty smell either-mild is the best description for now. I made two starters, the first only 1/2 qt and it started relatively quickly. The second was a 1/2 gal and again, no aggressive scents, or fermentation issues. I picthed into my batch at about 72* and within 6 hours it is going steady. This is my first rodeo with wlp299. Overall so far, a very subdued and steady fermentation. Hopefully in March I can have tasting notes! Looking to see the fruity tones I am reading about.

So my WLP299 APA is complete, but I'm afraid I still cannot give a real fair assessment. I'm 0-2 when using this yeast. Because I made the last minute decision to use the yeast, I did not get an adequate starter made and I pitched a decanted mason jar of 6 month old cleaned yeast. The fermentation was sluggish to start so initially I got a lot of diacetyl in the final product. It has mellowed out significantly and is almost gone now.

I fermented at a target temp of 70* and it got as high as 72* well within its range (68*-78*). The beer is really good as it matured. The yeast does produce a peach like flavor; however, it is too dominant for my taste and I kept the temp on the lower end. The peach/fruity flavors should be even more dominant as it approaches the top end of the range. It attenuated well; my OG was 1.060 and FG 1.008. For me it feels like it is taking away from the hop profile. Personally, I will stick with WLP001 for my APA/IPAs.

So my WLP299 APA is complete, but I'm afraid I still cannot give a real fair assessment. I'm 0-2 when using this yeast. Because I made the last minute decision to use the yeast, I did not get an adequate starter made and I pitched a decanted mason jar of 6 month old cleaned yeast. The fermentation was sluggish to start so initially I got a lot of diacetyl in the final product. It has mellowed out significantly and is almost gone now.

I fermented at a target temp of 70* and it got as high as 72* well within its range (68*-78*). The beer is really good as it matured. The yeast does produce a peach like flavor; however, it is too dominant for my taste and I kept the temp on the lower end. The peach/fruity flavors should be even more dominant as it approaches the top end of the range. It attenuated well; my OG was 1.060 and FG 1.008. For me it feels like it is taking away from the hop profile. Personally, I will stick with WLP001 for my APA/IPAs.

Mine is doing great so far. Obviously no tasting yet but where did you get your temp range? The AHS website gives it a range of 68-78? http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...aZk3xw3B7mqhLUndcjhkDNw&bvm=bv.41018144,d.b2U

I am keeping it at right about 70 for now. Pretty easy when it is 32 outside. I am hoping for the fruity flavors with my hops but I hope they are not overpowering. Just a hint or three:ban:

I got the 68-78 range from the AHS site as well. I couldn't find anything on white labs. I left mine at 70 as well, it spiked to 72 at peak activity but generally kept at 69-70. You should still get plenty of the fruity flavors at that temp. Its a fine yeast, I just prefer the WLP001. I still may give it another shot down the road.

I got the 68-78 range from the AHS site as well. I couldn't find anything on white labs. I left mine at 70 as well, it spiked to 72 at peak activity but generally kept at 69-70. You should still get plenty of the fruity flavors at that temp. Its a fine yeast, I just prefer the WLP001. I still may give it another shot down the road.

I didn't read your previous post thoroughly...I thought that you said 72 was the max...my bad. It seems to be a pretty thorough yeast. My activity slowed a lot after three days. I did make a huge starter too....I am excited to see the results. New hops, new yeast, something different:rockin:

I brewed a Magic Hat clone with apricots instead of the artificial flavoring using the Persica yeast. It attenuated down to 1.000 with no off flavors, just a crispness with some fruit esters and a slight note of specifically apricot (0.5lb apricots). I used a refractometer initially and was surprised with the reading, so I double checked with my hydrometer. Overmashing is my fault with regard to the extreme attenuation. I like the yeast. I think it lends really well to the America Pale/Amber/Brown styles.

This yeast also flocculates really well. A month after brewing my carboy was clear enough to read through it (no lagering, cold crash, or fining)

I brewed a Magic Hat clone with apricots instead of the artificial flavoring using the Persica yeast. It attenuated down to 1.000 with no off flavors, just a crispness with some fruit esters and a slight note of specifically apricot (0.5lb apricots). I used a refractometer initially and was surprised with the reading, so I double checked with my hydrometer. Overmashing is my fault with regard to the extreme attenuation. I like the yeast. I think it lends really well to the America Pale/Amber/Brown styles.

This yeast also flocculates really well. A month after brewing my carboy was clear enough to read through it (no lagering, cold crash, or fining)

Nice! I still have mine in the ferm so I havent tried it yet. I don't think I will bottle for at least three more weeks. I am pretty excited about this one and I plan to use the yeast in a rye ale shortly after. I have the wlp001 on hand as well but I like new things. Plus everyone has mentioned great things about wlp299. The more people comment, the more excited I get:ban:

I'll let you know...when I went to check fermentation temps this morning, this thing was CHUGGING away violently and brought itself up to 75*. Hotter than I ferment any of my ales. Gradually brought it down to 68*.

According to White Labs, recommended temperature range for this yeast is 68-78*. I'd say this batch will have some esters! Should go nice with the galaxy hops and simple grain bill though! :mug:

I finally tapped this keg... This yeast definitely has a very apparent peach/stone fruit flavor, as others have mentioned reminds me a lot of Magic Hat #9. Did this as a BIAB and had lower efficiency than I planned, went from 1.044 to 1.012, cleared pretty quickly. I like it, but I think as Kuckoo said I could see it taking away from hop profile.

I finally tapped this keg... This yeast definitely has a very apparent peach/stone fruit flavor, as others have mentioned reminds me a lot of Magic Hat #9. Did this as a BIAB and had lower efficiency than I planned, went from 1.044 to 1.012, cleared pretty quickly. I like it, but I think as Kuckoo said I could see it taking away from hop profile.

Yeah, same here. Cleared quickly and has a pretty potent citrus hit to it. I think it cleans up nicely though. My bottles are still conditioning but I like what I have tried so far. I second the taking away from the hop profile. Would make a great rye pop nicely though.

I really like it as a middle of the road pale ale yeast. If you are trying to make a pale that blurs the line between ipa and apa, then this probably isn't for you but a 1.050 30 ibu balanced pale ale, I think this is awesome.

Also might be good in a simple American wheat beer. I like the yeast quite a bit, have a few slants of it and will probably keep it in the yeast library for those kind of beers.

I have a Galaxy Pale (that turned more into an IPA due to over-eager hopping) that just finished with this, and I love it. I think the hop flavor gets muddied/confused a little with the peach flavors, but I also don't have a trained palate. The yeast gave a quick fermentation and cleared up very nicely, very quickly. I'd be interested to do a rye or wheat with this as well.

Planning on using this in an amber ale tomorrow. Gonna hop with falconers flight so I think this should play nice with that.

I have a Galaxy Pale (that turned more into an IPA due to over-eager hopping) that just finished with this, and I love it. I think the hop flavor gets muddied/confused a little with the peach flavors, but I also don't have a trained palate. The yeast gave a quick fermentation and cleared up very nicely, very quickly. I'd be interested to do a rye or wheat with this as well.

I went ahead and made a rye a few weeks back with it. I bottled a few days ago so I will report back. Used citra hops as well so I believe it will be quite tasty indeed. Love the yeast. Keeping this one around for my pales from now on.

Back