Lager #2: Refresh my Memory re: Diacetyl Rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
This is my 2nd lager, a bock. My first one was a pilsner. It went from like 1.050 to 1.010 in 2 days, so I never had time to do a diacetyl rest on it. I came into it expecting a 2 week ferment time, so I was caught off-guard by such a quick finish. I was using Wyeast Bohemian lager yeast, which I harvested from that batch, made a big starter (that was KICKIN by the time I pitched), and used it for this bock. The bock is on day 2 of fermentation right now. The krausen is all the way up to the cap, and the bubbles are better than 1 per sec. Carboy temp is 52.

Wyeast's description says:

Wyeast said:
Benefits from diacetyl rest at 58 F (14 C) for 24 hours after fermentation is complete.

So what do I do here? Do I wait until the krausen falls? Or just until airlock activity has subsided? Then, just raise the temp to 58 for 24 hrs, then drop it back down slowly to lagering temps? Gimme your suggestions...

I do the latter. I actually wait until fermentation has subsided, then raise the temp for a couple of days, then back to the cold!

i gave mine a rest after about 7 days but my fermentation did the same as yours.

super fast drop in the first two days which caught me a bit off guard. i pulled it out to 65 degrees and moved to secondary about .002 from where my FG target was.

Latest posts

Back