Is it true?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes. They are moving toward 'post mix'-- essentially syrup in a box. Then the soda fountain adds water and carbonation.

This has been in process for a long time now. Corney kegs are simply less efficient for businesses to handle, in almost every possible way.

nice there is a mens club just down the road and they have 8 cornys stacked out outside there joint, they have not moved all winter! I am going to see If I can get them from them! things are looking up

I asked one of the beverage distributors why the switch? I assumed it was just cheaper to pack the bags in a box. He said the kegs were much cheaper over the course of a couple years, but they got tired of the FDA or someone spot checking their sanitation techniques. They pay a little more for the throw away packaging in the long run but it's less hassle. That's weird, I thought we were going for less throw away waste.

There are a lot of costs not considered there though. It's actually mor efficient to use the post-mix.

Post Mix is a much smaller volume and weight than a corney of soda, reducing shipping costs, handling issues and the number of trucks they need.

You can stack as many as 8 boxes on a standard hand truck, shortening delivery time. Each box is 5 gallons of 5 to 1. Imagine how many cornies that is.

Corney Kegs take up a lot more space than a post mix system. In the 4'x4' wall space here at work, we have 8 different flavors and 1 box of backup for each flavor stacked in the corner. We'd need a huge room to make that kind of space to have that much soda on hand in a non-concentrate format.

'less waste' is relative. Post mix is more efficient for soda. Besides, we win--- corney kegs are as cheap as they are because they've been drumped to the recycle market.

kornkob said:
There are a lot of costs not considered there though. It's actually mor efficient to use the post-mix.

Post Mix is a much smaller volume and weight than a corney of soda, reducing shipping costs, handling issues and the number of trucks they need.

You can stack as many as 8 boxes on a standard hand truck, shortening delivery time. Each box is 5 gallons of 5 to 1. Imagine how many cornies that is.

Corney Kegs take up a lot more space than a post mix system. In the 4'x4' wall space here at work, we have 8 different flavors and 1 box of backup for each flavor stacked in the corner. We'd need a huge room to make that kind of space to have that much soda on hand in a non-concentrate format.

'less waste' is relative. Post mix is more efficient for soda. Besides, we win--- corney kegs are as cheap as they are because they've been drumped to the recycle market.

Guys, cornies were available from Coke and Pepsi, with both premix, AND post-mix soda in them. I's just that most vendors used post-mix.

steve

This is good right now that we can get cornies for next to nothing b/c they are going to recycling, but in the long run if the only people that use them are homebrewers they will be next to impossible to acquire eventually. When you do find them they will probably be really expensive.

joshpooh said:
This is good right now that we can get cornies for next to nothing b/c they are going to recycling, but in the long run if the only people that use them are homebrewers they will be next to impossible to acquire eventually. When you do find them they will probably be really expensive.

There is currently a large supply of used kegs and new ones are still in production as homebrewers are not the only people who use them. The soda companies have been using pre-mix for something like 10-15 years already and they still aren't completely converted (hello international market). All in all I wouldn't be too worried about the used keg market changing drastically anytime soon.

Back