General Thoughts on AIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I consider myself a huge fan of American IPA's. I have tasted more comercial examples than I can recall and brewed, and brewed until I finally think I figured this thing out. I will share my thoughts on what makes AIPA so good......

#1 Finishes dry, very dry, often times assisted with sugar in the grain bill

#2 Very simple grain bill, VERY, VERY limited amount of cyrstal malts and almost never specialty malts

#3 Heavy dose of pacific northwest hops in the last 15 minutes of the boil and a huge dry hop. Varieties include, but are not limited to, cascade, centennial,chinook, amarillo, warrior, columbus, summit, willamette, etc..etc....

#4 Yeast can help add to fruity aroma and flavor or can be completely neutral, either way it needs to be a dry finishing strain. WLP007 and WLP001 are great examples

#5 This beer should not be dark, not syrupy and have no dark crystal malt (raisin, plum) flavors. I have tasted a few examples (one from Abita comes to mind) that are fairly dark, caramel driven so called IPA's.......heavy crystal malt and hop flavor aroma seem to fight each other

#6 I have tasted numerous commercial and hb examples that have a very complex grain bill, the richness and maltiness that large amounts of crystal and specialty malts add to a beer create a heaviness and cloying complexity to the ale that is just to heavy.

This all being sain here is a list of commercial examples I find to be exemplary:

Rogue Yellow Snow IPA (I consider this a benchmark...super dry, hop forward...delicious)
Sierra Nevada Torpedo
Boulder Brewing Mojo
Redhook Longhammer
New Belgium Ranger ( malt, sugar, hops, water, yeast....it's done well)
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale

You are 100% right. We started making out own IPA recipe, and 3 brews in, none are very good. We tried to make them "complex" and add some more flavor by using biscuit, victory, aromatic, or a decent amount of crystal malts. Not good.

Last batch was 2 row, 5% crystal, and sugar. Simple, simple. I already think it is going to turn out waay better than the other ones. Simple recipes always seem to work the best

Back