Bazooka Tube vs False Bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
I fly sparge, would one be any better than the other?

The Pol

I believe that a false bottom would be better for a fly since it has more surface area. This would cause less channeling and therefore better efficiency.

I agree with Sause. For my earlier set up, I have a s/s false bottom and I fly sparge. I always seemed to have a nice even run off, and think the false bottoms are more geared towards fly. I tried batch sparging with the false bottom, and ended up getting too many pieces of grain particles.

On my new set up, I batch sparge and use a Bazooka Tube, and I love it. It evacuates the grain bed quickly, and think it sets up a bit of a vacuum, and helps suck the wort right out. I could be wrong, but that what it seems like to me.

When I used to fly sparge I prefered a false bottom, for the same reason sause said. But now, I prefer a batch sparge and a bazooka tube while I circulate the herms. This gets my effeciency up pretty good, and increases my starch conversion times. I rely more on a sparge ring to prevent channeling, then a bazooka tube or false bottom this way.

Back