Hop Rocket Owners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamrockdoc

Reaction score
I got a hop rocket for X-mas and want to use as a randal. Is there anyone out there that has this set up for this and is willing to share pics and parts # and/or locations of parts to intergrate this into a kegerator set up? Thanks in advance!

I saw a video recently with Mr. Blichmann himself going thru all about how to set it up and use it.

I just got one for Christmas and only used it as a hop back so far. Added four oz of leaf hops and the sucker clogged up completely. Either my scale was way off or 4 oz is too much...I thought I heard or read 4 oz was the max? Pulled out 2 oz and it flowed freely. Could have been the pressure from my March pump, maybe pushed it a little too much at first. I imagine CO2 would be a little more forgiving at normal serving pressures but I would put a smaller amount of hops in at first. Let me know how it works as a randal. It is a very well built piece of equipment.

What is a randal, in this context?

a randalizer is a device that goes inline on your kegerator tubing. You fill these things up with hops and then hook them up to your beer line. Beer is essentially pushed through the fresh hops infusing them with that fresh hop aroma and flavor. Great for any beer that you want to have a good and tasty hop profile. Hope this helps

i dont have pics up yet, but i got the 1/4 connectors that blicmann makes. You will need swivle nuts for them. Also if its not in use you will need a connector to reconnect your beer line as both ends from the hop rocket are male connectings.

I have used it with 2 oz of citra on a double ipa on my keggerator.
Seems to work well as a randal.

I've used mine without complaint as a hopback. The trick seemed to be to start the drain from the kettle very slow and then open it up slowly. The problem is that I went so slow that by the time the wort got finished the temp had dropped enough to the point where I wonder how much hop utilization I will have realized from it. I used it two weeks ago, so we'll see.
Regarding using it as a Randal, I did not have a good experience with this (yet). I only used about 2 Oz of cascade leaf. It clogged immediately. I took it apart and dug out about half of the hops and put it back together with equally poor results. Oddly enough, I don't think it was the hop blocker itself that was clogged, because when I took it apart and disconnected the output tube, I saw that the little nipple was jammed up tight with hop sediment. I had to dig it out with very small screw driver. So it's like the randal wasn't blocking enough hop sediment. I think maybe the pressure in the keg was too much. I had pressure down to around 10 but I think maybe I need to really keep an eye on it and start much slower.
Anyone else have experience using one for a randal?

Back