Secondary Ferm temp? important?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klamz

Reaction score
I'm Brewing a high gravity chocolate stout and it is almost done fermenting in the primary. I'm planning on brewing another beer and putting it into the fridge where my chocolate stout is currently because there is only room for 1 carboy at a time. My question is can I leave the chocolate stout out on the basement floor in the SECONDARY without harming the beer?? Ambient temp is approx 68f-77f. The fluctuation is due to shotty central air conditioning, cooking in the kitchen, drier on....etc. Does the temp really affect secondary conditioning that much? I know it is important for Primary………

The biggest problem I see is the temperature fluctuations. They will keep the fine particles stirred up. If you can, wrap the carboy with a few blankets.

The warmer temps could make the yeast finish its job with a little more enthusiasm.

Horray for spell check!

Either way you are aging it.

David :)

Back