Grubs, how to kill them kindly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've actually had a bunch of birds in the yard lately...Of course, I dump my grains out there too so...I've been having mole issues too, that I'm now relating to the grubs.

I like that. And the added bonus of being pet friendly and a flea controller. :rockin:

I applied these this year too. 7 million for ~$8. They have to be applied in the evening when there is no direct sunlight but while the air/soil temp is above something like 50*F and then watered in.

According to the packeger of the ones I bought, they will scavenge to a depth of about 10 Inches and need to be watered in. One application lasts 2 years.

There are a number of ways to apply them but the typical practice is to rehydrate them for 30 minutes, mix that with 1 gallon water, and use a garden sprayer on it's coarsest setting.

Mine were packaged with cork crumbles and I guess some of those got through the sieve I used (kitchen strainer) and plugged the dip tube. Took me 20 minutes to clear it.

I applied these this year too. 7 million for ~$8. They have to be applied in the evening when there is no direct sunlight but while the air/soil temp is above something like 50*F and then watered in.

eek...that could be a problem. Nights are already starting to get down to the upper 30º here...Mostly lower 40º mark...

eek...that could be a problem. Nights are already starting to get down to the upper 30º here...Mostly lower 40º mark...

There is also a white mold in a powdered form, saw a post about that in Hop Growing. Forgot the name. Supoosed to good for like a decade after applied.

Oh hey, I just remembered. It's not kind, nor is it probably economically feasible...but since this is general chit-chat. The University here about a decade or so ago did an experiment. They had this roller with thousands of long, need-like tines that pierced the earth. The objective of the study was to kill off the earthworms/etc and see the effect on the turf. My friend who at one point in time was in the earthworm raising business (no foolin) told me about this. You could make one for the grubs (and consequently the moles/voles as well :D)

didn't my mother used to put out (that sounds wrong!!) a bowl of :ahem: beer to catch grubs in? I'm pretty sure she did.

Yeah you're right... I called mom just to ask and that's what she told me. It's nice to be able to still call my mom. :off: Everybody call your mom!! She'll appreciate it. OK I'm done now.

Latest posts

Back