oops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knifemaker

Reaction score
ok first off it is soo nice to be able to touch base with folks so much more experienced than myself, secondly i need some advise!. This is my first post, as well as my first mead so here goes. Set out to make a med sweet show mead from Ken Schramm's book, all went well initially sanitized all and sundry in my house, even my daughter! Fermentation started 12 hrs after initially pitching the must bubbling about every 3 seconds used 14 lbs wildflower honey from a beekeper less than 20 miles of me. I did everything by the book til i realized i had put in a gallon too much! starting gravity was about 1.089. My question is " should i leave it be, or add a bit more honey?" I don't want it too dry, but i also don't want to mess anything up any advice would be greatly appreciated. Basic recipe 14 lbs good honey 10 grams d47 no heat method by the book save for the addition of too much water,lol
:eek:

How many days ago did you make this?
You could sure add 3 more pounds of honey slowly over the next 3 days...especially if it's still going strong. I would use plain old clover honey, and just pour it in the fermenter. It'll mix itself just fine.
It will also be fine if you leave it as is. Dry, but it will be good.

Congratulations, and Welcome!

Return fire questions!
1. How big is the batch now?
2. Do you have a 2nd carboy?
2a. If you have 2nd carboy, how big is it?

Personally, I'd just leave it, shrug my shoulders, and pay closer attention later.
IF you still have room in your carboy, and you have a 2nd carboy, you might want to consider pouring in 1-2 lbs of honey into the spare carboy and racking the must onto the honey. Show mead shouldn't krausen, so it should be safe to get fairly close to the top (1-2 inches from the bottom of the neck).

sorry,should have mentioned was only 2 days ago, a 5 gal batch to be exact. I am using a 6 gallon bucket specifically for brewing, and no i only have one carboy. lol from the earlier responses, and i thank you all for them. i think i'll add a pound or 2 tomorrow. Next question, should i agitate it or just pour and recap and leave it the heck alone?

and bigkahuna thanks for thiinking bout us folks in uniform, believe me we all appreciate it!

Back