5 Gal coolers for a party keg chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g_rath

Reaction score
Anyone use those round 5 gallon coolers for a keg cooler. I was think that it would work for an easy (cheap) way to chill my keg for parties. I was thinking that I would put the keg in, fill it with Ice and water and cover it some how. Not sure if I should cut the lid to fit the keg or just cover it in a damp towel. Anyone ever do this? Likes, dislikes?

Get some R-Max 3 from Home Depot and cut it into a round circle with a hole to stick the keg through. An alternative is a neoprene sleeve.

I’m not sure I know what you mean. Are you talking about that pink insulation board stuff? and do you mean for a lid or for the entire thing?

Would the neoprene sleeve keep the beer cold enough long enough by itself?

Get one sheet of R-Max foil backed as thick as you can. It becomes the lid.

You will drop 20-25 bucks on the cooler and 8-11 bucks on a sheet of R-max and and have a gerry rigged system, or you go get a KEGlove with an ice pack sleeve for $49.

http://www.keglove.com/product_details.php?item_id=55

5glredlarge.jpg

I ordered a couple of these after seeing them at NHC 2008. It's a clean solution with a minimal amount of space and no more buying ice as you refreeze the ice pack each time.

Get one sheet of R-Max foil backed as thick as you can. It becomes the lid.

You will drop 20-25 bucks on the cooler and 8-11 bucks on a sheet of R-max and and have a gerry rigged system, or you go get a KEGlove with an ice pack sleeve for $49.

http://www.keglove.com/product_details.php?item_id=55

5glredlarge.jpg

I ordered a couple of these after seeing them at NHC 2008. It's a clean solution with a minimal amount of space and no more buying ice as you refreeze the ice pack each time.

I met the guy that makes those at a homebrew party back in March. really nice guy with a great poduct.
You can get an ice pack that goes inside it and he clames that it will keep a keg cold for like 3 days.

I met the guy that makes those at a homebrew party back in March. really nice guy with a great poduct.
You can get an ice pack that goes inside it and he clames that it will keep a keg cold for like 3 days.

I'm sure that depends on ambient temps. The claims I have seen are it will keep beer cold for 8 hours. I will find out soon enough as they should arrive this week.

If I need more than 8 hours, I will get a spare ice pack to swap out. The main for me is that it is a very clean solution with much less to haul to a party, thus much less to haul back. I have never had a keg at a party last longer than 4 hours anyway. :drunk:

Made out of 1/4" thick neoprene material, sorry not that impressed unless it was 1" thick or more. What degrees air vs beer temps used for their 8 hour claim? What was the beer starting and ending temp thru those 8 hours?
I would rather purchase a sheet of 1" thick neoprene material and glue it together plus add a thin white plastic liner around it vs red which is almost as bad as black far as absorbing sun heat energy.

41 degree beer, ambient 74 degrees. 11 degree uptick in 8 hours.

Sure 1" neoprene would be better, but you have to find it, glue it, make it easy to get on and off your keg and how much will you have spent in time and money?

Again, for me, it's a clean solution, and with my Austin heat, I think swapping the ice pack out at 4 hours will take care of keeping the beer cool till the keg is empty.

I have been having the same thoughts- I have brewed 4 corny kegs for an upcoming fishing trip to Northern California in July- its usually about 90-100 out and last time I kept having to make expensive ice runs (I had the kegs in an uncovered garbage can). This year my buddy is bringing his ice machine- and I was going to use my 10 gallon mash tun Igloo coolers to put the keg in and I was wondering about a lid-the insulation piece sounds like a great option. The Keglove is neat-but too $$ for 2 kegs at once.

Thanks for the tread

Tim

About the Keglove said:
... I will find out soon enough as they should arrive this week.
Ed, how did the Keglove work for you? I'm this close -><- to getting a couple for our wedding reception in September. We were going to drop a bundle of cash on a jockey box. Then I saw your post on these things and was elated to see something that might do the job for nearly 1/3 of what we'd spend on a jockey box (which I'd probably get little use out of in the future).

Ed, how did the Keglove work for you? I'm this close -><- to getting a couple for our wedding reception in September. We were going to drop a bundle of cash on a jockey box. Then I saw your post on these things and was elated to see something that might do the job for nearly 1/3 of what we'd spend on a jockey box (which I'd probably get little use out of in the future).

I used it yesterday for my neighbor's pool party. I took a keg of Apfelwein over for him with my paintball tank & regulator. Worked like a champ. I'll be picking it up this evening. It stayed chilled throughout the party.

I'm going to do a test to see how long it stays chilled in 90+ degree weather, but so far, I'm very happy with the results. My poll shows that most kegs will blow in 2-3 hours anyway, so 1 ice sleeve will do the job, but I will pick up a second one anyway.

The key for me is the simplicity and re-usability for it. It's a very clean solution for $49 and when you are not using it, it does not take up much room.

Cool; thanks for the reply. Looks like I'll be getting two of these as soon as SWMBO green lights it!:)

I just ordered one bundle and an extra blanket. Free ground shipping with a minimum order of $50.

4 bucks for ice blanket keg glove sales theirs for 20 bucks then the glove itself for 30. i wonder if buying the ice blankets somewhere else locally would be cheaper? also wonder if anyone has any sewing skills wanting to make a pattern? finding neoprene isnt too hard one could sew up there own and use the Rubbermaid blankets? wonder if there would be a cost savings?

never mind didnt realize it was that expansive. its like 100 bucks for 51" x 87" or more depending on thickness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, but by the time you get enough to equal the size of the one from Keglove, you've spent more and have the hassles of multiple blankets and getting them in the right place. It negates the simplicity of the solution for no real savings in $$$. Even if it did save a couple of bucks, the hassle factor outweighs it the first time you go to use it.

Interesting, but by the time you get enough to equal the size of the one from Keglove, you've spent more and have the hassles of multiple blankets and getting them in the right place. It negates the simplicity of the solution for no real savings in $$$. Even if it did save a couple of bucks, the hassle factor outweighs it the first time you go to use it.

what size if the keg glove blanket? if two would work for the 4 bucks that would only be 8+tax compared to 20 from kegglove. and also nice to knwo there might be a replacement possible so you dont have to order from them and need it tomorrow if you know what i mean

Made out of 1/4" thick neoprene material, sorry not that impressed unless it was 1" thick or more. What degrees air vs beer temps used for their 8 hour claim? What was the beer starting and ending temp thru those 8 hours?
I would rather purchase a sheet of 1" thick neoprene material and glue it together plus add a thin white plastic liner around it vs red which is almost as bad as black far as absorbing sun heat energy.

1 inch thick neoprene? I would say you be hard pressed to find 1 inch thick neoprene. Local scuba shop says they only have up to 3/8 inch thickness and it's rated for 33-38 degrees.

what size if the keg glove blanket? if two would work for the 4 bucks that would only be 8+tax compared to 20 from kegglove. and also nice to knwo there might be a replacement possible so you dont have to order from them and need it tomorrow if you know what i mean

You will need at least 3 to get close to the KEGLove blanket, so you are up to 12 bucks plus tax compared to the 15 for one from Midwest. It might come in handy for a possible replacement, but as I said, the hassle factor far outweighs the 3 dollar savings. Driving around looking for neoprene and fabric, then trying to stitch one together and have it look half-assed is another thing, all to save a few dollars.

I'm proud of my beer when I take it parties and I want my solution to look good, so I'll spend a couple bucks more up front and enjoy it time and time again later.

You will need at least 3 to get close to the KEGLove blanket, so you are up to 12 bucks plus tax compared to the 15 for one from Midwest. It might come in handy for a possible replacement, but as I said, the hassle factor far outweighs the 3 dollar savings. Driving around looking for neoprene and fabric, then trying to stitch one together and have it look half-assed is another thing, all to save a few dollars.

I'm proud of my beer when I take it parties and I want my solution to look good, so I'll spend a couple bucks more up front and enjoy it time and time again later.

oh no i totaly understand i thought for sure the neoprene was easier to find and the cost for buying online is out of this world. and i thought keg glove was wanting 20 for theirs? either way yes this is a good deal. well that is if i didnt already have a couple 5 gallon coolers. another cooler i made into a beer locker. but as you said the keg glove is a cleaner setup all around. so for someone that needs something to keep a keg cool it makes sense to buy the keg gloves.

yeah, coolers work fine, but personally after using them a few times and hauling the ice and all that stuff got to be pain. When I saw the KEGLove, I knew I found a cool solution that would eliminate all the crap to pack in the car and to bring back as well.

I just started my test on how long it will keep a beverage cool in 90 degree temps. I'm pouring every 15 minutes to see how she does.

I know the inventor....a fellow homebrewer that dealt with everything from bags of ice, rubbermaid barrels and building his own $300 jockey box that he has used twice! I think the KEGlove product is fantastic. There are plenty of McGuyver types out there, but let me tell you.....the KEGlove team has done a nice job designing a solution that has been proven effective at a REALLY reasonable cost. The R&D, patent process, testing and aesthetics have exhausted close to 2 years in getting the final KEGlove to market. As a fellow homebrewer, I know we all take pride in our finished product as well as how we present our brews. EdWort's comments ring very true and I am sure the team at KEGlove appreciates them.

yeah, coolers work fine, but personally after using them a few times and hauling the ice and all that stuff got to be pain. When I saw the KEGLove, I knew I found a cool solution that would eliminate all the crap to pack in the car and to bring back as well.

I just started my test on how long it will keep a beverage cool in 90 degree temps. I'm pouring every 15 minutes to see how she does.

as always we know youll let us know how it works. i didnt know about the glove before i made my cooler. this was before i found this place. and yes ill prob end up getting me a couple. they are cheap enough. and the cooler wasnt tore up because i drilled through the lip to fit the 2 picnic taps and gas line. so it will still keep the cans cool while floating the river. hrm now how to keep the keg from too much disturbance in the raft

This is what I did..
PicSingleTapRental.jpg

Get 2 rubbermaids.. Place the 1st cooler, drop in the keg, fill with ice, put 2nd cooler over it, drink.

Though, I don't use it anymore because I never have just 1 keg.

I wound up getting a garbage can, putting the 2 or 3 kegs in it, inserting ice, putting the lid on it with the taps and hose out of the lid and going that route.

My test went well last night. I'll post some pics later.

I started out with a keg of chilled water from the fridge. It started at 42 degrees with an ambient temp of 90 degrees.

at 15 Min. it was 42
at 30 Min. it was 43
at 45 Min. it was 43
at 60 Min. it was 43
at 80 Min. it was 43
at 120 Min. it was 44
at 150 Min. it was 45
at 180 Min. it was 47
at 210 Min. it was 50

It basically confirms my need for a second blanket to swap out close to the 3 hour period in these extreme temps. In milder temps, these times will stretch out, but based on my poll of how fast a keg of homebrew goes at a party (63% less than 2 hours, 22% at 3 hours) a single ice blanket would do the job in most cases.

I'm very impressed with it.

Latest posts

Back