Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this the final extract recipe that most people have used?

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.3 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (45 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

If your doing a partial boil I'd bump up the 45 min addition

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

If your doing a partial boil I'd bump up the 45 min addition

When I did it - extract & partial boil - I just did a late addition for 2lbs of the DME.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

I just did a similar recipe of this again. Same grain bill, and used Amarillo and Centennial in mine.

Did some @ 60, 20, 5, and flame out. Used around... 2 ounces of Centennial, and 1 ounce of Amarillo. Might lightly dry hop it with something, as my "drinkin gang" has gotten into more hops slowly.

I use this recipe as a vehicle to slowly add more and more for those that are "not into hops and IPA's".. Eventually they taste some IPA's and go, damn this aint far from your blonde!

Increase the hop amount due to lower hop utilization of a partial boil.

I'm planning on following the extract recipe for this but I really liked the freshness and smell of the calypso hops my lhbs had. I bought one ounce of them to use in the recipe in place of the centennial and the cascade. I also bought safale05 instead of Nottingham yeast for more of an American flair. I know the ounce of calypso has about a 15% aau, any thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Home Brew mobile app

I really am wanting to make this brew. However my supplies are limited, and with this ice storm coming I'd like to brew tomorrow. So I scaled it down to 5 gal and subbed in what I had in inventory. Does this seem about right?
Batch size: 5.0 gal

Dry Malt Extract - Pilsen 4.5 lb Boil
Liquid Malt Extract - Light 1.8 lb Late Boil
Carapils 0.9 lb Steep

Centennial (US) 0.3 oz 45 min
Centennial (US) 0.3 oz 20 min
Cascade (US) 0.3 oz 10 min
Cascade (US) 0.3 oz 5 mi
Yeasts

Danstar Nottingham Ale

Brewed this a couple of weeks ago. It went from 1.044 to 1.009 with 1056 fermented at 66 degrees.

Normal?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Served this at super bowl party and was a hit with all esp the non craft beer crowd. I'm a hop head and this one for me clocked in under 20 IBUs so i might dry hop it now to give it a bit more aroma to better suit my tastes. But definitely an easy all day drinking beer!

Served this at super bowl party and was a hit with all esp the non craft beer crowd. I'm a hop head and this one for me clocked in under 20 IBUs so i might dry hop it now to give it a bit more aroma to better suit my tastes. But definitely an easy all day drinking beer!

I have dry hopped this a couple of times, and it turned out great.

You should try a hop stand with this beer.

I brewed this a while ago with Marris Otter pale and by mistake twice as much hops. I went by memory instead of checking first! Good mistake though, as it turned out really good! This is a nice refreshing, easy drinking beer. Thanks!

I just added 1oz of Chinook to my keg. Had about 2/3 left from the Super Bowl but it's wasn't really how I liked it but I kept it low IBUs on purpose for the masses. I'm hoping by dry hopping after the fact it lends a little more aroma/taste that I like.

I brewed this today with my father-in-law. It was his first brew day and he had a great time. The OG came out to be 1.070! I realized during clean up, after I found an extra gallon of water on the counter, I had forgotten a gallon of sparge water. The wort still tasted good and evenly balanced sweetness and bitterness so I think it'll still be a good beer. Thanks for the recipe!

I brewed this today with my father-in-law. It was his first brew day and he had a great time. The OG came out to be 1.070! I realized during clean up, after I found an extra gallon of water on the counter, I had forgotten a gallon of sparge water. The wort still tasted good and evenly balanced sweetness and bitterness so I think it'll still be a good beer. Thanks for the recipe!

If you hopped it as the recipe states, with a 1.070 gravity, that beer is going to be massively under hopped, even for a blonde.

If you hopped per the recipe, and your volume is low, add boiled water to the recommended volume to the carboy etc. then take a reading. If of course you want the ABV down and balance back. Jus an idea

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you hopped per the recipe, and your volume is low, add boiled water to the recommended volume to the carboy etc. then take a reading. If of course you want the ABV down and balance back. Jus an idea

thanks for the idea but I think I'm just going to let it ride. It's only about a 3 gallon batch so worst case I'm out 15 bucks.

If you hopped it as the recipe states, with a 1.070 gravity, that beer is going to be massively under hopped, even for a blonde.

It seemed pretty bitter when I tasted it. It's not an ipa or anything but I think it'll still be drinkable. If not then oh well.

thanks for the idea but I think I'm just going to let it ride. It's only about a 3 gallon batch so worst case I'm out 15 bucks.

You prob wont be out money at all. It'll prob be really good!! I always seem to get sg higher and volumes lower. And it drinks jus fine lol

I brewed a beer from this recipe last week. I got the recipe from Popular Mechanics and never put two and two together. I'm not a fan of grapefruit notes so instead of cascade I used mosaic hops which weren't available at all when this beer was first made. I'm hoping that my PBR friends will drink it with me. If not...oh well....all the more for me.

I just added 1oz of Chinook to my keg. Had about 2/3 left from the Super Bowl but it's wasn't really how I liked it but I kept it low IBUs on purpose for the masses. I'm hoping by dry hopping after the fact it lends a little more aroma/taste that I like.

jaydog, was just reading your sig, and our tastes seem to run along the same lines. I'm drinking Centennial blonde now, and have an IPA in primary. What really caught my attention is the description of your upcoming American Wheat. That is exactly what I want to brew next! Care to share your recipe, or point me to a link if it's already posted somewhere here on HBT?

Thanks!

Shoot me a PM I'm actually in the middle of brewing it now, couldn't brew over the weekend. So let me wrap it up tonight and I'll give details. But shoot me a PM so i dont forget. Cheers!

It seemed pretty bitter when I tasted it. It's not an ipa or anything but I think it'll still be drinkable. If not then oh well.

Yeah, unfermented wort taste pretty raw and bitter, with a cloying sweetness.. Hard to really tell till it ferments.

The recipe is a blonde though- so it's already lightly hopped. Thats what I was getting at. Thats why this beer is popular because most folks aren't crazy about the lupulin.

I brewed a beer from this recipe last week. I got the recipe from Popular Mechanics and never put two and two together. I'm not a fan of grapefruit notes so instead of cascade I used mosaic hops which weren't available at all when this beer was first made. I'm hoping that my PBR friends will drink it with me. If not...oh well....all the more for me.

I've done it with all mosaic, it's pretty good. Use something to bitter it slightly more, because to me, Mosaic sucks for bittering, and it's a sweet fruity hop, and I always think it needs a few more IBU's to balance it.

But it works great in a blonde.

Hey guys, I'm hitting the recipe links up pretty hard to try and decide what to do for my next batch. I'm still learning the curve, but things have been progressing smoothly so far. I've got 8 five gallon batches under my belt, two of which were BIAB.

By the time the next open brewday rolls around, I hope to be a proud new owner of a 10gal water cooler mashtun. I found BIAB to be pretty easy and I have no problems with that type of brewing, but I want to keep increasing my skills and progress onward to regular AG brewing so I can utilize both styles when needed.

Would this recipe be forgiving to a new brewer using standard AG practices?

I'm leaning toward this one, or perhaps a Blue Moon after reading all the reviews.

Thanks much,

Would this recipe be forgiving to a new brewer using standard AG practices?
It's a pretty simple mash, so yeah, go for it ... provided your fermentation kung fu is strong. I think it would be kind of unforgiving of high or fluctuating fermentation temps or a sketchy pitch since it's a fairly light, clean beer.

This was my first all grain. My numbers were off and it still tasted great, so i would say it's pretty forgiving. Happy brewing!

Sent from my VS920 4G using Home Brew mobile app

So I'm drinking this now. Really nice refreshing beer! After giving one to my son who's mostly a BMC drinker, I asked him "did you think I could make beer that tasted this good?" He said that he didn't. Not sure how to take that, but I'll say it's a compliment to me and to the beer. Doesn't say much for his faith in me though.

One particular observation: My bottles have no discernible sediment to speak of. I've never had a home brew before without sediment. There's plenty of carbonation, so I know there's yeast in there. But the beer is cloudier than I expected from other descriptions in this thread. Could it be that all the yeast is still in suspension? All were in the fridge a minimum of 2-5 days before opening. And the carboy was cold crashed for 2.5 days prior to bottling. Any possible explanations?

So I brewed this beer in November. My brew came out with a higher OG and ended up at about 5% abv. It was a decent beer after some cold aging. It did taste a lot like a BMC beer but I was expecting something more flavorful. I got no hop flavor at all. I was expecting just a touch.

I took the rest of the keg to a party this weekend and something very strange happened. There was half a keg left to start and after a couple pints it started tasting like shock top or something. It developed a very strong orangey, citrusy taste. It got stronger as the keg went on. Anyone ever had this happen?

Best brew day I've ever had as far as time efficiency goes. I started at noon and just finished the boil at 4pm on the nose.

I knew my efficiency would be a little higher, but I didn't adjust my base malt. My final volume is 12gallons with a gravity of 1.040. I ferment in 1/4 kegs, so this is perfect.

My mash was 151f when I put the lid on, but I loss 2 degrees over an hour.

I couldn't be happier with my numbers and I'm hoping this turns out well in 2 weeks. Half is going with me to a wedding up on mt. Hood where we will be staying at a friends cabin over night. The other half is going with us to the beach during spring break.

I'm also bringing cream of three crops to both events.

Thanks!

brewed this today, will go on nitro. forgot to order vienna malt so had to make an hour run in the chicago snow to get some. then when i went to sparge, no beer flowing. hmmm.... stuck sparge? no. didn't take long to realize that i had mashed in my hot liquor tank and my sparge water was in my mash tun. that was fun. :smack:

I took the rest of the keg to a party this weekend and something very strange happened. There was half a keg left to start and after a couple pints it started tasting like shock top or something. It developed a very strong orangey, citrusy taste. It got stronger as the keg went on. Anyone ever had this happen?

I had this happen with an APA and I guessed that some of the hop oils settled out and concentrated a bit more towards the end of the keg. I don't know that it's true, but it seemed to make sense to me :)

I think I'm going to use this as a base recipe to try out some of the Mandarina Bavaria hops I picked up. Thanks :)

You prob wont be out money at all. It'll prob be really good!! I always seem to get sg higher and volumes lower. And it drinks jus fine lol

Just wanted to update. This was my first kegged beer and even though I forgot a gallon of sparge water this beer still turned out great! I dry hopped with an ounce of centennial to help the hops balance out the OG (1.070) and it worked well. The beer tastes great. Sort of a hybrid blonde ipa. I might even keep this in my rotation. I'm going to a shindig tomorrow and bringing a growler of this so we'll see how it's received.:mug:

What temps are you guys fermenting at with US-05? Sorry if it's been discussed - There's a lot of posts to read through

Back