Preventing boil overs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c0leman22

Reaction score
Gutes Bier my fellow brewsters.

I was perusing a web site earlier this week and saw a self help article which included a means to prevent a boil over while cooking. It stated that simply placing a wooden spoon across your pot while boiling would prevent the wortastrophe. I was skeptical at first but decided to give it a try. I don't have any wooden spoons at home, but I do have a metal grill spatula with a wooden handle.

It is working very well so far. I'll add a pic if it'll let me.

Yes it's an aluminum pot. Sue me. The metal spoon is my stirrer (not aluminum). The dog is my Boxer named Barley.

-Cole

image-3109185578.jpg

I just add a few drops of FermCap and never have a problem.

I use a spray bottle of water, and just spray it when it foams up. My friend drops in an ice cube or two. Both work just fine for me (and him).

Haven't tried any of the above, but I may in the future. My BK has a thermometer, so when it gets to ~200f I pay close attention, as soon as I see it rising, I cut the heat ...usually only takes once and the danger is gone.

(I must confess, a brown ale boil got away from me once , lost a lotta hops with that mistake. :( )

I actually position a fan blowing over the top of my boil. Works great!

2 drops of fermcap total in a 9g batch kills all hot break for me. It's only a fraction of the recommended dosage, too.

Bigger kettle if you can buy another for sure. Have a 20g for 10 gallon batches and never have to watch it or worry about it.

Used the spray bottle trick this past weekend for the first time. Worked great.

Back