Is the sunflower oil Craisins a potential problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radegast

Reaction score
Hi, I've been shopping for good, bulk dried cranberries. Everything I've seen indicates that plain old Craisins would be a good deal and present nothing in the way of problematic preservatives like sorbate.

The only thing that gives me pause is the fact that they have some sunflower oil for anti-clumping purposes sprayed on the outside. This product spec sheet (PDF) indicates it's only 1%, and I see so many people talking about brewing Craisins on here and other places. I assume it won't be an issue, but I wanted to check here and see if anyone had any problems with it.

Speaking of Craisins, I was also wondering if anyone had tried Ocean Spray's "Choice" product? It's designed as a slightly cheaper alternative to classic Craisins, but critics say that it's pretty much just dried cranberry skins fortified with juice and sugar. As a brewer, I was intrigued. Would you get some kind of pomace wine flavor brewing with those or what? Has anyone had any experience? The data sheet looks similar, for what it's worth. No more or less sunflower oil than Craisins. (PDF)

Same reason you make straw wine instead of regular wine. I've heard very good things about dried cranberry wine, and the price is better than most wine kits I've seen.

Plus, I can get them. If I do see bulk cranberries show in stores, I'll try that, too.

There is a Craisins dried cranberry that does not contain sunflower oil...just berries and some sugar. They sat right next to each other on the shelf and I could not tell one from the other until I read the ingredients, same price too! I was told to rinse any sunflower oil laced dried fruit with boiling water and then proceed. Personally if you can find them without the oil that is what I would do.

Even though fresh berries will soon be on shelves they are expensive in many markets, more than dried fruit if you compare actual amounts of fruit. I know people who have made cranberry wine from fresh, canned sauce, dried berries and shelf stable juice..all for comparison..and they were considered equal and in the future the winemaker chose what was cheapest at the time.

Thank you, that's very interesting! It sounds like maybe I'd be better served finding some high quality juice or something. I'm sure bulk fresh would be cheapest and best if I could find it.

Back