Longest Pitch time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mot

Reaction score
I had a longer than normal time to chill my wort last night. Just wondering what are some of the longest times you guys have pitched your yeast. And did you notice any type of off flavors, I know there is a higher chance of infection

I would not worry. I hope you pitched a starter, but if you didn't it should still be OK. The first brewers did not know about yeast and set wort out hoping that a wild yeastie would fly in ferment it. Not to say that that was a good way to do it, but you will probably be Ok. Just don't open it to let friends look at it, or to taste it or anything like that! If you are worried that it is infected, you can heat it(not in a carboy) to 180 for 15 minutes or so, cool it, and pitch new yeast. Sound like fun? I guess not. Just let it ride!

8+ hours. Chilled to 100 in 20 minutes, had to leave to do something else. Sealed the wort in the carboy and left it in the basement. Pitched yeast when I returned.

I've also gone two hours with it in the brewpot. No problems either time. Not that I'd suggest either method is best practice ;)

cheezydemon said:
I would not worry. I hope you pitched a starter, but if you didn't it should still be OK. The first brewers did not know about yeast and set wort out hoping that a wild yeastie would fly in ferment it. Not to say that that was a good way to do it, but you will probably be Ok. Just don't open it to let friends look at it, or to taste it or anything like that! If you are worried that it is infected, you can heat it(not in a carboy) to 180 for 15 minutes or so, cool it, and pitch new yeast. Sound like fun? I guess not. Just let it ride!

yeah I made a starter...I just goofed when adding top off water. I have 3 gallons of top off water in the freezer getting nice and cold. I chilled the boil of 3 gallons in an ice bath, but didnt do it long enough. Then I mixed the top off water and the wort to 5 gallons and that only brough it down to around 90 so then it took longer to cool the whole 5 gallons vs the 3 of the wort. It wasnt super long it was about an hour or maybe 1 1/2 hours

now we need one of those physics guys......

I firmly believe that adding the cooled water was the right way to go. The immediate temp drop AND the greater surface area hitting the cold side of the carboy are good things. I would make a water bath if not an ice bath though. It takes no time with a bath.
Either way I'm sure you are FINE! Good talking to you.

I hear what you're saying. My buddy and I recently brewed in his South Philly apt. and it took FOREVER to cool the wort - 8 hours at least - and even then it was pretty hot. Still the fermentation worked great. Beer has been very forgivign in my experience.

That being said, lower boil volumes and putting a bunch of water in the freezer while preparing the wort will help you cool everything down in no time. Just don't forget to take it out!!!

Bike N Brew said:
8+ hours. Chilled to 100 in 20 minutes, had to leave to do something else. Sealed the wort in the carboy and left it in the basement. Pitched yeast when I returned.

I've also gone two hours with it in the brewpot. No problems either time. Not that I'd suggest either method is best practice ;)

I've had to seal my wort in a carboy and leave it for 6 hours because i ran outa ice and it was to hot outside to use garden water to cool the wort. So i put it in the carboy, air locked it, and put it in a dark closet. 4 hours later, it was down to the right temperature. It bubbled away with no problem after that.

This is based on the one brew day I've had:

For cooling I made a salt-water ice bath a la Mythbusters in a large plastic tub ($5 from Bed Bath & Beyond type stores) and had 3 gallons of wort down to room temp in about an hour and a half with one large bowl of ice and 3-4 gallons of water.

After the transfer to the carboy I gave up on my yeast being alive and went to buy more. Got home an hour and a half later and realized with the new yeast packet had past its expiration so I made a starter using simple syrup (1 cup water, half-cup sugar, simmer and stir till its clear). I then left the starter overnight, pitched it around 10am the next morning and the airlock was doing the rumba by dinner time.

I'll let you know how it tastes after the first weekend in August.

AE

cheezydemon said:

I firmly believe that adding the cooled water was the right way to go. The immediate temp drop AND the greater surface area hitting the cold side of the carboy are good things. I would make a water bath if not an ice bath though. It takes no time with a bath.
Either way I'm sure you are FINE! Good talking to you.
Given a fixed amount of chilled water and hot wort and a water bath the fastest way to get to pitching temp is to cool the hot wort in the water bath until the addition of chilled water will bring the temp to pitching temp. The reason for this is the greater temp differential between the hot wort and water bath results in a faster transfer of heat.

Craig

cheezydemon said:

You rang? Seriously, Craig is dead on.

Now, for the pouring it at the outset, there's a lot of variables for a truly precise answer... But, I'm a betting man and I'll put $20 on 5gal @ 90deg vs. 3g @ 180deg all day long.

I've let one sit on the back deck overnight with only a towel for a cover. Tasted great.
Don't worry. Relax. Have a homebrew. :mug:

Back