Newcastle clone...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keldognuts

Reaction score
Hey guys, anyone have a extract recipe for Newcastle...just started kegging and would like this to be the first pour...thanks for any suggestions

The recipe can be found in the magazine for 150 clone brews, but basically you are brewing two beers and combining them.

Not meant to be discouraging, just pointing you in the direction of where to find this recipe. :mug:

I made a brown ale that came out great.

3.3 lbs. Plain Amber Malt Extract
2 lbs. Plain Amber Dry Malt Extract
8 oz. Crushed Crystal Malt 60L
1 each Grain Steeping Bag
1 oz. Willamette Hops (Bittering)
1/2 oz. Willamette Hops (Finishing)
5 oz. Priming Sugar

Flyin' Lion said:
The recipe can be found in the magazine for 150 clone brews, but basically you are brewing two beers and combining them.

Not meant to be discouraging, just pointing you in the direction of where to find this recipe. :mug:

You can find the issue for sale here. Even if you decide not to brew the Newkie (far and away the most complex recipe in the issue...not only is it a blend of 2 different brews, but each of them is fairly complex, and they need to be aged differently!), this mag is pretty handy as you formulate other recipes, or if you want straight-up clones. Easily one of my better HB investments :D

Midwest makes an extract kit that is a Newcastle clone with all DME. It is next on my list to make. I think someone else around here just made it. It is called Oldcastle.

If there are no replies I have a recipe that is close. I will try to remember to check this thread when I get home and post it.

Note to self: learn how to put recipes in the HBT database

thanks all for the suggestions and quick reply. I will check later for those recipes

I did my NewCastle from Clone Beers and added 2 packed cup of brown sugar. came out very good.

2oz 55l British Crystal Malt
2oz British Chocolate malt
1oz. Bristish Black malt

6lb DME light
23g target hops

after 45 minutes
14g east kent hops
Irish moss

Wyeast 1098 british ale yeast

Here's a couple.

This is very similar to Newcastle.
Ingredients:

* 1 can Munton's Plain Amber Malt Extract 3.3 lbs
* 2 lbs. Munton's Plain Light Dry Malt Extract
* 1 lb. Crushed Grain Mix (1/2 50 L Crystal & 1/2 Chocolate)
* 2 oz. Willamette Whole Flower Hops 4.9%
* Prime with 3/4 cup Corn Sugar
* 1 teaspoon irish moss 1/2 way thru boil
* WYeast #1028 London Ale or RTP English Ale Yeast

Procedure:
Steep grain until boiling, remove - add extracts - bring to boil, drop in hops for entire 45 min. boil ( irish moss 25 min. into boil) 2 weeks fermentation. 2 weeks bottled. All at room temp.
Specifics:

* O.G. 1.046
* F.G. 1.015

This is based on Charlie Papazian's recipe for a good "nut brown ale". I was very satisfied with the results. I assume you're an extract brewer.
Ingredients:

* Crystal 60 1.5 pounds
* Chocolate 2.5 ounces
* Roasted Barley 2.5 ounces
* DME light 5.5 pounds
* Styrian Goldings 1.0 ounces 60 min 5.5 % AA plug
* Styrian Goldings 1.0 ounces 15 min 5.5 % AA plug
* Cascade 0.3 ounces 3 min 5.7 % AA leaf
* BrewTek British Draft Ale yeast
* 1 cup corn sugar, priming

Procedure:
Made a yeast starter: 500.0 ml , starter: 10 mL SuperStarter; 500 mL SuperWort; Pitched at high krausen.

If you insist on using dry yeast, try Nottingham English Ale. In liquid yeast, use Wyeast Y-1968 London ESB. I prefer making mine from slants (either my own or BrewTek's); saves a lot of money in the long run, and boasts greater variety. If you can't find Styrian Goldings in the form you want (German plug hops are expensive) try East Kent Goldings pellets (especially in the second addition).
Specifics:

* OG: 1056 (13.7 P)
* FG: 1016 (4.2 P)
* Alcohol: 4.1% (abw), 5.2% (abv)

Raffie said:
I did my NewCastle from Clone Beers and added 2 packed cup of brown sugar. came out very good.

2oz 55l British Crystal Malt
2oz British Chocolate malt
1oz. Bristish Black malt

6lb DME light
23g target hops

after 45 minutes
14g east kent hops
Irish moss

Wyeast 1098 british ale yeast
this is the one i used sans brown sugar

Thanks for all the suggestions....I have the clone brews book so I think that I will go with that seeing that so many of you like the recipe. thanks again. Will let you know how it turns out. Kelly

I have had the midwest kit, a freind brewed it and it was pretty darn good. And I was really burnt out on new castle when I tried it

joebou4860 said:
this is the one i used sans brown sugar

I just added regular house brown sugar packed. 2 cups.
I really like it and this will be a reg made beer for me.

Latest posts

Back