Your Black IPA/Cascadian Dark Ale input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I adapted a couple recipes I found on here and combined to make my Soul Agent IBA. I am going to brew it for the first time this weekend. Really excited as this "style" of beer is becoming a quick favorite of mine. Plus first time doing all grain. My preferred representation has to be Odell Brewing Mountain Standard found here http://odellbrewing.com/beers/single-serve-landing/mountain-standard-reserve.

Too much?

My DHG (dark hop grenade...not mine, someone else on here said it and I like it...) has .75lb carafaII and .25lb Choc. wheat as well as .75lb crystal 60. I mashed for the full mash (70min I think). It looked and smelled beautiful but I have not tasted it yet. I'm not going to worry... :mug:

....don't see pale chocolate in there, so.............., no, don't worry.

I just kegged AHS's Stone 11th Anniversary Ale aka Sublimely Self Righteous and it is a spectacular recipe. However, I have been intrigued by the D.O.Z.E. recipe as well. Anyone brewed both of these? Thoughts?

I'm not hating, just said it wasn't my cup of tea. I like hoppy beers and I like stouts. The combination / fusion of the two just didn't work for me....

I get where you're coming from here--which is why I use chocolate rye and Carafa III for my black IPA. To me, anything that says IPA *has* to be about the hop character, and roastiness interferes with that character in my experience. The chocolate rye adds complexity and spiciness rather than roastiness, and the C3 gives the blackness and a nod towards roast.

Maybe that's not a good representation of the style- if not, tell me what is and I'll give it a shot.

For Black IPA, my money is on Firestone Walker Wookie Jack. I almost didn't drink it b/c my nose said "Amarillo + black IPA? No way!" But my mouth said, "Hellllllls yes!"

Back