Apple Jack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I recently double distilled a batch of cider into some pretty good apple jack. I did so by freeze distillation. Quick question since I am still new to all this. Do I need to keep it refrigerated? Or can it be set out from now on? I DID NOT use any stabilizer or preservative in it.

Thanks for any help!

It can be set out, everything you make can. That's generally how people age there ciders/wines/meads.

Also, instead of calling it distilling (which isn't allowed on these forums) you should aim to call it freeze separation or freeze concentration so people don't get confused.

Ok, possible dumb question here.

Being that with yeasts like Montrachet or Pasteur Champagne you can easily get to 18% ABV or more, what would be the advantage of freeze concentrating (;)) a low alcohol cider, vs. making a high alcohol cider from the get go?

Also, for what I read, freeze concentration tends to also concentrate some undesirables, like fusel alcohols, for example. At what point does that become a problem?

I think it is easier to freeze concentrate the juice than the cider. If you freeze the juice, when it thaws the first part to thaw is the water, leaving concentrated juice behind.

Not much point doing this with store-bought juice which is usually made from concentrate anyway.

Back