First brew, green coloration in krausen? Just yeasties or infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lobster

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just cooked up my first batch about 48 hours ago. I made a British pale ale with white labs yeast and have it sitting with an airlock in my bucket for fermentation. I didn't see the airlock making any clicks like I thought it would, and after 48 hours I became suspicious, so I cracked it open, and I saw some nice looking brown/tan krausen on top with some green all around, just kind of a forest green. Me being as inexperienced as I am, just to calm my nerves, is that normal coloration or is that the color if an infection? I cleaned everything well, but I'm just checking.

I can't wait to transfer it to the secondary, get it in bottles a little later and start drinking homebrew.

Anyway, just wanting to calm my nerves if I can, and yes, I'm having a beer right now; so its not that bad =).

Brandon

Hop-green is my thought too - any recipe I've done that added pellet hops at the last minute sure as hell had ugly green slime-foam.

:drunk: Damn guys, thanks for the quick reply, and that airlock sure is bubbling away now. I'm SOOOOOOOOO damn excited, hehe. I want it to be done right now, but I know patience is a virtue. Maybe after I get it in bottles I'll go ahead and start another batch,,,

What would be a fun second beer? something you think everyone should have,, My fiance likes sout beers such as guinness extra stout. It is all she will drink. Would a very stout and dark beer be a good second beer?

Thanks again guys, and yeah, I left the hops in, so now I understand the green.

Brandon

Lobster said:
What would be a fun second beer? something you think everyone should have,, My fiance likes sout beers such as guinness extra stout. It is all she will drink. Would a very stout and dark beer be a good second beer?

With Fall right around the corner, there is nothing better than a nice stout. GO FOR IT!!

Lobster said:
My fiance likes sout beers such as guinness extra stout. It is all she will drink. Would a very stout and dark beer be a good second beer?
Whatever the fiance/wife/significantother wants is what the fiance/wife/significantother gets, so yeah brew a stout...they're the best thing for us noobees since they can hide a lot of screwups. :)

Latest posts

Back