Foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hypergolic

Reaction score
I have foam coming out of the airlock of my carboy. There is an amber ale in there that I brewed yesterday. Is this anything to worry about? Thanks

You need to attached a sanitized blow off tube that terminates into a bucket of sanitization solution, then the foam will creep up that instead of comin gout of the air lock. If you do not have access to one, I'd remove the airlock, cover the carboy opening with a sanitary peice of foil. Clean and sanitize the arilock and replace. hopefully the fermentation is slowing and it won't happen again. Of course a bigger carbopy would help. What size are you using now?

its a sign of healthy good rocking fermentation, youtube "beer blow off valve" should give you idea how to make blow off for excess foam.

this active phase usually subside in 3-4 days, then you can put your airlock back.

of course, sanitize, sanitize and once more - sanitize.

One tip- don't just pull out the airlock. Gently loosen the bung first, slowly. Then you can remove it!

(If you don't know why- that's good!)

Haha, now you've got me curious as to why... Is it a nice way to break your airlock or what?

Have you ever fired a .300 winmag with your eye too close to the scope? That's why.

Oh - it does... I had a batch blow off the blow off tube two weeks ago after a particularly vigorous ferment... I decided - who knows why - not to strain my pellet hops on this occasion... Last time that happens... At 5:30 in the morning I spent 1.5 hours cleaning hops off the ceiling, the walls, and everything else in the room including SWMBO's clothes...

Back