Am i ready to rack ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irena

Reaction score
My airlock started bubbling 8-9 hours after i pitched the yeast into the carboy and it bubbled vigorously and now after about 10 days stops bubbling(actually bubbling rate is very low which means i should stay more than 3-4 minutes to see a bubble goes up in the airlock).Am i ready to rack the bear into another carboy ? and does the second carboy still needs airlock ? when the beer is ready to drink ? unfortunately i don't have access to gravity meter.
thanks.

You need to get a hydrometer, that is the only way to be sure you are done. But it you do not have access to one a good rule of thumb is to keep your beer in the primary for 3-4 weeks. It helps clean up "off" flavors by staying over that yeast cake that was formed during primary fermentation. Some people here do not use a secondary they just rack from the primary in to a bottling bucket or a keg. Only time they use a secondary is if the are dry hopping or adding flavor additions. Hope this helps.

Oh yea if you use a secondary it will definitely need a air lock.

Yes, 3-4 weeks in primary, then bottle, unless you want to have it in a secondary for a few weeks.

B

I never advise racking a "bear" lol..... on my beers however I only put them on a secondary if I plan to infuse another flavor such as adding fruits or something else to the mix. Otherwise keep on the yeast cake for 3-4 weeks and rack it to the bottling bucket or keg.

As stated above, give it 3 to 4 weeks in primary.

If you go to secondary it will need a airlock.

Bottle it up after it has fermented for a few weeks. Your beer will be ready (generally) about 3 weeks after you bottle if kept at room temperature (70°) while carbonating.

From boil to bottle, IMO, takes about minimum of 6 weeks but 8 to 10 weeks is better.

Back