Summit Horizon Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNBugeater

Reaction score
Just got a few pre-release bottles of the Summit's new Red Ale. Nice beer. I have always liked Summit's beers and not just because I am from Minnesota.

I believe you can buy this on April 20th. For all you Minneapolis area folk, Mark Stutrud, owner and founder of Summit Brewing will be at The Four Firkins Monday April 20th pouring free samples.

DSC01866.JPG

I got an email announcement a couple days ago. Sounds like a great beer. I hope it doesn't take too long to get down to Rochester. A little snippet from the email:

Summit Horizon Red Ale is an emerging American hybrid ale that crosses the boundaries of Amber and IPA styles. This red-hued ale projects an intensity of complex hops – yet allows the drinker to experience the balance and character of the malt along with notes of apricot, pine, and grapefruit. Beautifully dry hopped and available year round, Horizon Red Ale will be considered a classic!

Malts used: Two row pale, caramel, cara-red, wheat and black
Hops used: Horizon, Amarillo, Cascades and Summit
Original Gravity: 13.3 degrees Plato
Bittering Units: 65 to 70
Alcohol by volume: 5.7%
Color: 20 Lovibond

I had 3 last night and while it was a good beer, it didn't strike me as hoppy. Certainly not 65-70 IBUs...Very nice color and I may try adding a LITTLE wheat to my Amber. I like the idea of smoothing out body a little.

Back