Emergency!!! No Bottle Opener!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leftyguitarjoe

Reaction score
A friend of mine who is in the military came home for a few days, so I decided to get us some beer. I made a 6 pack of assorted micros and got him a six of rolling rock.

Anyway, we went to our buddy's garage to spent the evening drinking a little bit and catching up (it had been 3 months since we last saw eachother)

but then we realized that there were no bottle openers on the premises.....

It was a real pain not having one. We were in a garage, so we found a pair of pliers that worked, but they were a pain to use.... especially after a few beers had been consumed.

So I learned my lesson. I now have a bottle opener on my key chain:mug:

a Bic lighter can open beers.

also I've seen someone fold a piece of paper up, and pry open a cap.

No one besides me uses the edge of a table/counter/etc and just hits the bottle top.

Thanks to a suggestion in another thread, I now have my Beck VIP opener in my wallet.

Just knock the top of the neck off on something hard. The internal pressure will forace any bits of glass to fly away from the bottle and you could probably, or maybe, drink it without worrying about swallowing glass.

Just knock the top of the neck off on something hard. The internal pressure will forace any bits of glass to fly away from the bottle and you could probably, or maybe, drink it without worrying about swallowing glass.

Great idea, and the jagged edges would be like a foamer, kind of like putting it on nitro. Rock on.

Being without a proper bottle opener brings out the creativity in people.

Bic lighters are good and if you open them quick enough they pop like a champagne bottle. Completely safe unless you push into the bottle with the lighter while opening like I have seen some people do and take a chunk of skin out of their knuckle from the cap. Lol..

I have a opener made out of some bike chain and a piece of bike cog for home, a key chain for while I am out, and an opener mounted on my mountainbike for refreshment after a long ride. Reef makes sandals that have a bottle opener on the bottom of the sole which I thought was cool but I already have enough bottle openers and enough sandals.

974c_1.JPG

If somehow I am without an opener, I'll eventually figure it out and I don't complain. I have fun with it.

Back