Can I use this apple juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflongo

Reaction score
Motts 100% Apple Juice
From Concentrate with Vitamin C

I know it's 100% Apple Juice, unsweetened, pasteurized

So, good, good, good

However, it also has Ascorbic Acid(Vitamin C), is that ok?

Also, is corn sugar better than table sugar for hard cider?

Ascorbic acid is fine, it's a preservative but won't hinder fermentation.

Ok thank you. I have two 64 oz bottles laying round of that apple juice that we haven't used, so I figured I'll try making a gallon of hard cider for the first time.

Now comes the sugar. Deciding whether to use regular sugar, or corn sugar that I use for bottling. I plan on using 2 cups with the gallon of apple juice, along with a 5g packet of EC-1118 Wine Yeast.

I've been using 1.5 cups of carmelized sugar(mixed with equal parts apple juice to make a syrup ) in a 1 gallon jug, let it ferment dry then back sweeten. Gives me around %10 ABV.

I've been using 1.5 cups of carmelized sugar(mixed with equal parts apple juice to make a syrup ) in a 1 gallon jug, let it ferment dry then back sweeten. Gives me around %10 ABV.

I'm considering using 1 cup regular sugar, and 1 cup of brown sugar. Maybe I'll do 3/4 cup of each, then check what the gravity is at, and then add the rest if I want it higher :mug:

I've found that I like the flavors that Brown Sugar gives. Corn sugar seems to produce less off flavors than plain white table sugar also.

My vote would be for Corn Sugar or Brown Sugar.

I've found that I like the flavors that Brown Sugar gives. Corn sugar seems to produce less off flavors than plain white table sugar also.

I use brown sugar as well...usually 1 pound in 5 gallons. I also like to add frozen apple juice concentrate (1 can per gallon of juice added)

When it is done fermenting, I backsweeten with one can on concentrate and keg it. (If you are bottling, this will kick off fermentation again unless you refrigerate it)

Ok thanks. Maybe i'll do 1 cup corn sugar, and 1 cup brown sugar then.

Ascorbic acid is fine, it's a preservative but won't hinder fermentation.

Ok I just found another 64oz just of Old Orchard 100% Apple Juice in my closest I could also use. In addiction to Ascoribic Acid, it also has some Malic Acid in it.

Is that ok?

Back