Angry Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knittycat

Reaction score
Well, after losing my entire first batch (it was only a mr beer batch, so it may not seem like a big loss to you guys, but it is to me) I have done some angry brewing.
The results may be interesting.
This month, and next month are badbadbad for my family money wise, so I couldn't buy any replacement ingredients.
So I took a gallon of unpasteurized apple juice, an old can of frozen grape juice, a baggie of mr beer booster, and the trub from my ****ed up batch and tossed it all in to my Mr Beer keg with water to make up the volume.

Cross your fingers for me. In my experience things like this turn out to be the worst crap ever, or the best cider on earth, never able to be replicated. I'm hoping for the latter.

Nice save! I also am really new at this, and although I did the Mr Beer thing and yeah I drank those beers even though I complained about how they weren't as good as award winning commercial craft brews.... But my point is, those hard lessons will never be forgotten, so they are valuable things. I actually wrote down all the stupid errors I have done (I have also spilled a copious amount of beer from not closing the tap, and pretty much every single typical error in the newbie book) and I berated myself for all of them. But they are just things we have to go through to get better at it... It's a craft :) Good luck with the cider.

Thanks for the support. You really never do know until you try. I mean, what's the worst that can happen? It's **** so I've got no cider or beer? That's exactly where I am now, so it seem to me to be a no lose gamble.

Although, if I'd been less pissed, I'd have washed my yeast and built up a bigger colony to pitch, and I'd have sanitized. I probably really should have sanitized.

Sounds awesome, like a grape-apple cider. Now watch, it'll be the best thing you ever make and you'll never be able to reproduce it. If the booster makes it a little hard to drink (har har!) let it sit a little longer to mellow out.

:off: What's a tea cozy? I'd try one on but I wouldn't know I should right now.

You're going to get a quite dry cider from the ingredients you describe. If left in the bottle long enough it will taste kinda like a Chardonnay with apple over-tones. That's not a bad thing in any way as long as you should know what to expect.

:off: What's a tea cozy? I'd try one on but I wouldn't know I should right now.

A tea cozy is a quilted or knitted (or crochet) cover for a tea pot. It helps keep the tea sitting in the pot warm while you drink what you have in your cup. It often looks a lot like a hat, and some cozies get downright outrageous. I've seen crowns, flower baskets, elephants, pouf balls, and all sorts of wild cozies.
Here's a basic one.
FEK9CRXFKRSA4BH.MEDIUM.jpg

Heh, that begs a question I won't ask.

Good luck with the cider experiment, I recommend a good 2 months at least to condition.

Thanks! Also, since this is cider and all...I can use the bucket that I got from the doughnut shop that used to hold apple filling. I never was able to get all the apple smell out. :D

OH......... yeah a tea cozy. My wife knitted me one of those with safety orange yarn to wear when I go hunting. OBTW been there done that with the fruit juices... I do that often with the tail ends of bottles of juise and cider. And you claim to be a lightweight. You'll fit right in when you go to jail. LOL

Bah. Hit send by accident! :p

Anyway, I also have fiber to think of! I can't work with too many acrylics, and natural costs. Still, I end up with nice stuff, and sometimes I get paid for it. :) Although I crochet, not knit. And mostly gloves and hats--I have yet to actually make a tea cozy!

Wah? Surely you aren't insinuating something crass? ;)

I don't know what you could be talking about, I've never had a crass thought in my life.

And now I can be blamed for turning a cider thread into a knitting one on what is supposed to be a brew board. Bah.

Damm, I thought I was crazy.

It's always nice to come across someone who's even nuttier than you are...kind of gives one a sense of legitimacy.

Update on the angry apple cider.
It's ok. Not great, but ok. However, this is from a bottle that only aged 4 months, and then spent 2 in the fridge. I'm putting another in the fridge, and will crack it open in a couple of days. Maybe the extra 2 months aging will do it some good?
In other news, I've started a batch of ginger ale. I got a bag of 3lbs of fresh(ish) ginger at the grocery store for 99 cents. It's worth a shot, no?

Back