Want to go all grain but cant afford all new equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACo

Reaction score
I have been wanting to go all grain for a while. I have enough $$ to get the turkey fryer and MLT cooler...but the brew kettles are a little too pricy for me at this point. Essentially i can get some things but not others...I have about $100 at my disposal with a $20 amazon gift card. I think that would cover me for a nice fryer and MLT set-up...

I have a 6 gal SS kettle now for extract brews, but i realized i need a 10gal to be serious...

My question is if i can get away with the 6 gal kettle? Heat up water for mash-in, then add more water for sparge (batch sparging of course)? Maybe do 4 gal boils and and top off with an extra gal at the end?

You might be able to do some real small beers in the 6gal kettle, but I wouldn't recommend it. Get the burner and MLT and some partial mashes until you can afford the big kettle. By the time you get the kettle you will be able to make the AG transition super smoothly.

How much is to expensive for a brew kettle?

I bought a 13 gallon aluminum tamale pot last fall for $36 and has been doing the job for me so far.

P.S. I also do the steam part of making my hot wings in it too since it has that lip at that bottom to hold the plate above the boiling water.

P.S.S. I also picked up the materials for a second mash tun today, another 10 gallon cooler and the materials per flyguys guide for about $70, I think I want to go exchange the 10G for a 5 though so I can do experimental batches at the same time I am doing another full batch.

my set-up for ag didn't cost more than 100.
5g cooler converted-$19 for round igloo at walmart
$12 for fittings and braid

7.5g turkey fryer w/spigot -$52 at gander mountain

5g enamel pot for hlt $20 at walmart

my total was @110 with an extra trip to the hardware for a different valve

The cheapest option is to do a brew in a bag method. Just need an extra large grain bag. The pot size will still be a problem but you wont have to build a MLT.

30 quart. turkey fryer pot + 40-50 quart. cooler is all you need for AG. You can find a second-hand unused turkey pots on Craigslist realy cheap, this is one of those popular x-mass gifts that a lot of people never use and land up selling later.
I brewed AG for years with such equipment, it works pretty well.

same here. Get some fermcap to minimize boil overs, and you can do AG in the 30 qt that comes with the turkey fryer.

You will eventually want to upgrade that pot though.

I made the switch to AG in June (have done 5 batches) and use my current (30 qt.) SS pot. As the post above suggests, Fermcap-S is the answer. I've done most 6.5 gal. boils and even a 7 gal., and there's not even a hint of a boilover, or much of any foam, for that matter. Ten drops in the boil does the trick.

same here. Get some fermcap to minimize boil overs, and you can do AG in the 30 qt that comes with the turkey fryer.

You will eventually want to upgrade that pot though.

why do you need to upgrade the pot? it's perfect for 5g batches and really doesn't need to upgrade. also fermcap is not truly neccasary(sp) just skim off the protiens as they form when your pot is coming to a boil.

I used a 30qt alum pot for my BK for quite a while... it can be a pain, but it's certainly possible. I'm not a big fan of the 5gal round coolers, and think something larger (i.e. 48qt IceCube cooler) is a much better option. You can get them at Walmart for about $16.00.

It's still a little early, but you can find some really good deals on turkey fryer setups around Thanksgiving. I bought three for less than $30 each on clearance, and they include the stand/burner and a 30qt pot.

I just feel like everything i heard is that a 32qt pot is way too small....but if you think it works I may give it a shot...

why do you need to upgrade the pot? it's perfect for 5g batches and really doesn't need to upgrade. also fermcap is not truly neccasary(sp) just skim off the protiens as they form when your pot is coming to a boil.

I had grown frustrated with watching the 30 qt ot like a hawk for boilovers. I upgraded to a 60 qt pot, and now am comfortable with turning my back for a minute while the boil is going. It replaced that frustration quickly. For me it was a worthy upgrade, but my 30 qt worked great until the money was freed for the upgrade.

I just feel like everything i heard is that a 32qt pot is way too small....but if you think it works I may give it a shot...

Don't fear the 30 qt. It will work fine for you. I strongly reccomend the fermcap though. IT will make your life much easier.

A BK is never big enough. Here is a five gallon batch at hot break in my 60qt.

143.JPG

I just used a spray bottle with my 30qt. Now it's a HLT and I can do 10 gallon batches.

I have been wanting to go all grain for a while. I have enough $$ to get the turkey fryer and MLT cooler...but the brew kettles are a little too pricy for me at this point. Essentially i can get some things but not others...I have about $100 at my disposal with a $20 amazon gift card. I think that would cover me for a nice fryer and MLT set-up...

I have a 6 gal SS kettle now for extract brews, but i realized i need a 10gal to be serious...

My question is if i can get away with the 6 gal kettle? Heat up water for mash-in, then add more water for sparge (batch sparging of course)? Maybe do 4 gal boils and and top off with an extra gal at the end?

I'm doing AG with an 8.5 gallon brew kettle I bought from Walmart.... for $19.99. I wish I had a 10, but the 8 works. I've seen turkey fryers with the same 34 qt pot and a burner for like $25 on craigslist.

Get the biggest cooler you can (50qt is good) and get a turkey frier from Target or Walmart. Then you can always pick up a second pot that is a 30qt aluminum for if you want to do big beers. Boil in two pots and reduce down and then combine in the end. This setup should run you $100 max. If you already have a wort chiller, then you are halfway to all grain ;)

Almost there guys!!!!!!

Just got a Bayou SP1 jet turkey fryer from amazon $22 w/shipping!

and props to Schmidty for hooking up the awesome deal on the 60qt kettle!

all I'm missing is the MLT! I cant wait to build one!
:ban:

Back