Quick question about yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanZ

Reaction score
before I pitched the yeast, I read somewhere on howtobrew.com some directions for preparing the yeast

I boiled a little sugar in a small amount of water, cooled it to about 100 degrees and mix the yeast in, I let it sit for about 30 minutes, apparently it activates it faster

I have no idea if it was the right thing to do, do most of you do this or do you just pitch the yeast right in the cooled wort?

crap, I did it with dry yeast

wiki says thats no good

is wiki right?

also I don't think it was 100, I've done a lot of cooking in my day and have a pretty good idea of what temp to throw it in there, it was just kinda warm

probably closer to 90 degrees

Most folks just rehydrate the dry yeast in clean sanitized water. I don't see any benefit to adding sugar. You want the yeast to process maltose. I would keep the temp around 80 though as it is safer. You will be OK. Brewing is a learning experience.

Rehydrating dried yeast in sugar water is bad for the yeast. The osmatic pressure is to high and the cell walls on the recenlty hyrdated yeast are too weak.

Rehydrate in water at the temp listed on the packet. Usually below 80F.

The addition of sugar is very small and the purpose is to make sure your yeasties are alive. It has nothing to do with growing the population as in a starter. That said, I usually skip that step.

And FWIW, while you will be safer around 80-90 degreed I have seen many packets that say 100 degrees from the manufacturer. From what I can tell, you are fine.

Latest posts

Back