Chalky finish in pumpkin ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eurc51

Reaction score
I'm not expecting anyone to have a solution, but I figured it's worth a try. I'd like to salvage a pumpkin ale that I'm afraid I ruined. The original recipe called for 10 pounds of pumpkin in the mash and 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice. During the rack to secondary, I noticed that it didn't taste very pumpkiny or spicy. I got a few recipes from this forum and added about 1/4 tsp of nutmeg, 1/4 tsp of all spice and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon to the secondary. I added the spice by making a sort of spice tea, cooling, and adding to carboy. I tried the beer last night after the additional spice had been in for about a week. The taste is much better - the pumpkin taste really came out and the beer has a nice aroma. But, it leaves a chalky feeling on the tongue, which I'm guessing is cinnamon. The chalky finish really hurts the beer and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do. I'm hoping that addition time in the secondary for clearing will help some of the spice powder settle out. Thoughts?

Thanks,

E

I'd give it some time to condition. Spice additions will be very pronounced & 'sharp' while the beer is young. After a few months, it should settle down quite a bit... and blend better with the beer. Try it again in a month or two, and then again in a few more. Should be fine... :)
--lexuschris

Back