Gluten free home brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheatfree

Reaction score
I recently found out that I have a wheat intolerance. What a bummer! I found some sorghum extract at the brew store and just brewed a Pale Ale with it.
I think I may try adding buckwheat as a specialty grain. Does anyone have any gluten free recipes using buckwheat or other non wheat grains?

Try searching the site. It's been discussed a time or two before. Simply searching the word, "gluten" should turn up a handful of useful threads.

HEY!

My wife has Celiacs too. I'd love to brew her a batch of beer. What is the brand of extract and where can I get it?

Thanks!

There's a few decent threads on Gluten free brewing on here including recipes and tips....you'll wanna search for them for sure..

Also Craftbrewer radio did a fantastic multipart series on brewing Gkuten free, including a talk with at least one commercial gluten free brewer out there.

You will have to root through the huge archives to find the episodes though. CraftBrewer Radio

The basic brewing guys did a piece as well...
January 18, 2007 - Gluten Free brewing
Connie Rieper-Estes and Leigh Nogy from Dark Hills Brewery talk with us about brewing gluten free beer at home and their dream of founding a commercial gluten free brewery.

Gluten Free Brewing Project
Gluten Free Beer - GF Links Too
Gluten Free Home Brewing

To listen
http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr01-18-07.mp3

By the way not all yeasts are gluten free. I was listening to an old Basic Brewing Podcast and the people from fermentis wrote in to answer some questions from a previous podcast on Gluten Free Brewing.

The ONLY gaurenteed gluten free yeast strains are Safale Brands. They are grown on mollasses plates/starters as opposed to malt/wheat based plates and starters.

The only caveat they mentioned to this was not to harvest the yeast beyond one generation. Evidently it will begin to spontaeneously producing gluten proteins after it's been used a couple of times.

Last time I was a Deschutes brewing in Bend OR they had a gluten free beer on tap at the public house, to be honest I was not expecting anything great so I just go a taster. To my surprise it was very good it might be worth getting in contact with them and seeing what their recipe is. Deschutes contact page.

Back