My cascades!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We spent this morning harvesting our hops from our second year cascade plant.

Here, Bob is standing on a bench and harvesting:
DSCF0454.JPG

Here I am with one of the buckets of hops:
DSCF0457.JPG

They are now in an upstairs bedroom (an empty one), drying and smelling so good!

Damn, that's quite a yield!

You should put a bucket in your room and see how you sleep.

OK, now I really hate everyone that can grow hops. Mine start early , but die in the summer heat.
I guess I'll have to live with fresh tomatoes and corn in Jan-Feb, fresh limes, mangoes, avocados, grapefruit, pineapples, bananas, pomegranates and herbs all year

They look great. I found that a 5 gal bucket of freshly picked hops winds up being about 10-12 ounces when dried.

Mine fried again. A day of high temperatures and dry winds. Instant brown. Next year I harvest early, regardless.

Damn, I wish I could have gotten some help! The job of picking hops grows considerably less interesting after you've done it for an hour. I ended up with a just-about-full Ale Pale of Cascades (three second-year plants).

Well, that bucket of cascades is now dried and in the freezer.

Ladies and Gentlemen- I had 17 ounces of dried hops!

That was on one second year plant. I can't wait to use them! I'm going to try to find something to dry hop in the next few days, just to use my first ounce!

Mine fried again. A day of high temperatures and dry winds. Instant brown. Next year I harvest early, regardless.
If given enough water (I plan on a drip system), will they make it just fine or do the hops brown up even if water is in good supply at the root level.?

Back