short fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainspeedlimit

Reaction score
I'm on my second batch the first one turned out great. But the second one is having problems first off it boiled over and I lost about a pint of wort so when I put in the carboy I used 3 and a half gallons of water instead of 4 to make up for the boil over. Well now it's done fermenting 4 days later not a bubble for 2 days. did I ruin my beer or do some beers just have very short fermentation times?

Relax.

If you have a hydrometer, you can take a reading and see if it is somewhere close to the final gravity target for your recipe. (It probably is). If so, yes, everything is fine. (If not, your fermentation may be stuck.)

What kind of yeast did you use? Did you use a starter? I find that, with a yeast starter, it's not all that unusual for airlock activity to be quite minimal by the fourth day.

The warmer the beer, the faster the fermentation. In the summer, I was drinking carbed bottles 7 days after brewing. In the winter, it's taking 3 weeks to get tehm carbed, after a week in primary and 2 in secondary. But I've been AGing heavy stuff...

Back