Grilled buffalo!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Bob got an email the other day from a neighbor, saying the farm she buys grass-fed bison and beef from is moving and so having a big sale.

Bob called yesterday, and ordered 20 pounds of bison meat- sirloin tip and arm roasts. It came today.

Tonight he grilled some of the sliced arm roast meat, wrapped in bacon. It was done medium-rare and served with grilled Yukon gold potatoes, steamed broccoli, and romaine salad. I opened a bottle of 2009 cab franc from Dr. Konstatin Frank.

Oh my goodness- it was beyond great. The bison meat was very "meaty" tasting, with the consistency similar to beef tenderloin. I used a little sea salt and fresh ground pepper on mine (salt and pepper grinders on the table) and that was it.

This is probably one of my "top 20" meals. The combinations worked extremely well together, and the wine was fabulous. The whole meal was a huge win! :rockin:

Take one of those roasts, dry rub it with a mixture of herbs, spices and sugar, and smoke it with a combination of Cherry and Applewood til it's medium rare, the slice it and serve it as Buffalo filet mignons. Heavenly.

you should ask for dibs on some backstrap and pack it on ice for proper disposal down here in texas...

I'm still at work and now officially salivating for some good bison steaks or burgers. Paired nicely with a bourbon stout to warm me up. Yummmm...

With a nice piece of meat like bison, you can never go wrong with keeping it simple!!

+1. Bison is one of THE tastiest of meats, I usually keep it simple too: nothing more than a dollop or 2 of butter (brushed while grilling & again just before serving) and a wee dash of salt. If I'm feeling adventurous, maybe brush with dark sesame oil while on the grill.
Regards, GF.

I love bison, but am kind of spoiled living in alberta now where bison farming is really taking off. We have shops that sell nothing but bison meat and products.
Busom steaks medium rare on the bbq cannot be beat, but bison chili on a cold winter evening comes close

Years ago a buddy of mine shot a buffalo and gave me a ton of the meat. Man I think it is the best ever.

I had it roasted for the most part just plain but it was good with a little salt as well

Love me some bison! I have to find a place somewhere in my neighborhood where I can buy on a regular basis to put on the grill. :mug:

Back