How many corneys per tap do you have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howlinowl

Reaction score
Was thinking today about how many corneys I should have on hand.... I've got a True kegerator with 2 single tap towers. At this moment I only have 3 corneys. I figure that I should have about 5 corneys for the 2 towers. Reasoning being that I am going to make 10 gallon batches....2 kegs per batch and to have 2 different beers on tap I will need 4 kegs....plus one so when one runs out and I hook up the second keg, I'll have 2 empties to brew and fill before that one runs out and leaves me with a dry tap. If (more like when) I get around to brewing barley wines and such , beer that I'll want to age, they'll go into bottles.... leave the kegs free for beers that will turn over faster than that.

Was kinda wondering what everyone elses logic on this is... maybe I'm not seeing something that might change my mind.

Allan (contemplating purchasing more corneys)

Look at buying cornies as an investment. If you don't use them yourself (yeah, right) you will probably be able to sell them in the future for a profit. Homebrewing seems to be escalating and I guess soda-pop makers aren't using them anymore, so there won't be many left.

I could be wrong.

My rule of thumb is 3 cornies per tap, that is if you can store them properly. That gives you one in the kegerator and two backups per beer.

You will need more if you want more variety. A big chest freezer in the garage helps.

KeezerAlmostFull.jpg

Holy crap, Ed. Dat's a lot of beer!! Couple reasons I ask is that SWMBO doesn't like me to have too much "junk" around. Between the 2 tier brewery, buckets, carboys, two kegerators, boxes of bottles, beer signs on the wall in "my corner of the world" (not to mention all the ones NOT hanging up since we got married and she decorated) capper, supplies, ect. and my old Mach 1 in the garage, car parts, loads of computers and stuff that ain't worth what I paid for 'em 10 years ago, she doesn't want me collecting anymore. Heck, just to keep the latest Bev Air kegerator I am rebuilding now, I had to promise to get rid of my old refrigerator in the garage. So, if I can make a convincing argument as to why I need x amount of corneys, I can probably get 'em (and still keep my previously collected "junk").

Also, I am the only one who drinks homebrew in the house. My wife takes a sip now and again of whatever I am having, and my Dad likes Bud, but will drink a San Mig when they are around. He doesn't like anything too dark or hoppy and is too old and set in his ways to change. Last keg of commercial stuff I bought was Yueilings Lager and he didn't care for it. So, I'd like to keep the beer turning over.

Allan

howlinowl said:
Also, I am the only one who drinks homebrew in the house. My wife takes a sip now and again of whatever I am having,

Sounds like you need to make a batch of Apfelwein! She'll thank you later. :D

I have two taps and four cornies (not counting the one I use to store sanitizer). Right now four is all I need simply because of my rate of brewing is almost equal with my consumption rate. I've never even had a chance to use keg #4.

Well, I have five cornies and the plan is to have four taps. Up until now I thought that was a good ratio. Personally I think the question should be what is your ratio of fermenters to kegs?

5 taps 6 cornies, Need about 5 more cornies. 10 fermenters tho so it kinda works out, just a little lag on force carbing

15 cornies and four taps. Most of the time I have 4-6 kegs of 'tap' beer aging, plus kegs of barley wine and cider.

Three taps eight cornies. I intentionally left room for one more keg in the kegerator (without a tap) so that I always will have a cold carbed keg ready to go. The rest are used for aging.

2 taps and 8 cornies. Have only had 6 full at one time but I'm also planning on moving to 10 gals batches so I'll probably be picking up some more in the future.

2 taps upstairs in the kitchen and 5 taps on the freezer in my "workshop".

14 cornies all together and for the time being, that seems to be enough to keep up with my rediculous drinking. If you go to 10-gallon batches...I'd say get 6 more cornies. You'll never...ever...ever...say..."I have too many cornies on hand..."

i have 6 taps, and 35 kegs.

my kegerator is a full size upright top/bottom fridge, and i have three chest freezers. my 22 cf chest freezer holds 13 (full), my 8 CF holds 4 (full), and my 5 CF is freezing blocks of ice.

right now everything is full, and i've actually run out cold storage space, and some kegs are filled, but just at room temp. as i go through kegs, i'll put more into cold storage.

it appears i'm a bit of an oddball though. haha. i'm working on projects other than beer though, i have a couple kegs of hard cider, some soda, different meads (traditionals, cysers, melomels), and some wine as well, so i use kegs for storage of all these.

Back