Better Bottle.. spigot or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSmug

Reaction score
I am looking into buying a 5/6 gallon Better Bottle but i'm undecided on whether or not I should get the one with the built in spigot.

Obviously having the spigot is ideal but I was wondering on how easy it is clean. Anyone out there have any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks

I have to remove the spigot from my bottling bucket regularly to get it clean where the nut meets the bucket. Pretty easy to put my hand in there to hold the nut to tighten or loosen. Show me how you do that in your better bottle.

With an autosiphon it is easy to rack off the beer without transferring trub.
No chance at all of a leaking spigot. Easy to clean.

I am not interested in a BB with a spigot. Not worth the worries or the hassles of cleaning.

I have to remove the spigot from my bottling bucket regularly to get it clean where the nut meets the bucket. Pretty easy to put my hand in there to hold the nut to tighten or loosen. Show me how you do that in your better bottle.

There are tricks to doing that in a Better Bottle. I did not have that fancy installation stick and I installed mine.

However, I would not recommend getting the port. I rarely use it. It seems to drain slow. The little spring clip flew off it and it is now a fragile Achilles heal to an otherwise great fermenter (I have 4 other better bottles without the port).

I was thinking of getting one of those till i priced it all out. crazy crazy expensive . Perk

There are tricks to doing that in a Better Bottle. I did not have that fancy installation stick and I installed mine.

However, I would not recommend getting the port. I rarely use it. It seems to drain slow. The little spring clip flew off it and it is now a fragile Achilles heal to an otherwise great fermenter (I have 4 other better bottles without the port).

Agreed, I have 4, all without the port.

Thanks for the help. Sounds like I should skip the spigot.

Next question though... should I get the 5 or 6 gallon? I will be primarily using this BB for secondary fermentation as my buckets are more than sufficient for initial fermentation.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I have 4 6gal and 4 5gal BBs all with the port. I have done all of my brews, meads, and ciders using them, and they've worked flawlessly. Never a leak. Clean up is a breeze with a little Oxyclean Free or PBW and hot water. :ban:

Back