want to raise final gravity HOW?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poetic_entropy

Reaction score
My beer finished at 1.010 I would like it around 1.015 at least maybe 1.017, Can I steep some sweet grains (what kind would you advise) and add to the secondary and let sit for a few more days?

Thanks

If you steep the grains, you will get fermentable sugar and the yeast will eat it up. You might raise your alcohol, but can't guarantee you'd have a sweeter brew. You need a non-fermentable sugar, like Omar suggested - lactose. It's available at most HBS.

You can add some malto-dextrine at bottling, just boil it with your priming sugar. This is less apt to impart sweetness to the final brew than lactose.

For a already fermented beer:
Lactose will add sweetness
Maltodextrin will add body with less sweetness
Both contribute about the same gravity per pound as sugar but are not fermentable.
For future beers:
Using additional crystal or dextrin malts
Using Laagander extract if extract brewer
Mashing as a higher temp if AG brewer
Using a less attenutative yeast

I've used maltodextrin on one beer and was not impressed. I think it is better to get the extra body without the addition of malto or lactose.
Craig

transfered to secondary today. Had a little taste a little dry but overall pretty good. It is a very mild IPA cascades and willamette hops. Gravity started at 1.071 with 12 #s of 2 row and 1# of crystal 20. If I am figuring right my ABV should be around 7.5-8. Is that correct? It is a 5 gallon batch.

Thanks again for the ideas.
Gonna try a medium gravity yeast next time.

Try using the yeast you harvested from the Irish Stout - they are usually a bit less attenuative.

Im in the same boat, my trippel finished at 1.005.. I was hoping for around 1.015. The beer is very thin and boozy. I'm not getting any of the sweetness I look for in a trippel. I hear to add maltodextrin but that's only gonna increase mouth feel. I want to make a 1 gallon batch of beer with light DME, and light Munich and rack on top of it to increase malt flavors. Then throw it refrigerator at 32° so the yeast will stay dormant.. Any feedback on this? Thanks :)

Back