Recipe thoughts/advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cadarnell

Reaction score
I was wanting to try MO as a base malt in an IPA ... all I have used so far is amer 2 row ... and also I want to try some chinook hops .. does this recipe look like it will be good to get a feel for how I like both things? too many hops or not enough malt? ... I will be pitching it on an s-04 yeast cake that a pretty big, but lightly hopped blonde ale is on right now ... thanks :)

http://hopville.com/recipe/758899/american-ipa-recipes/mo-chinook-ipa

I would suggest two things:

1. Consider using some hops as first wort hops to bring out a rounder hop flavor.

2. Flavor hops around the 15-20 minute mark.

With just bittering and aroma additions (including the dry hops) it just won't taste like much.

I would agree with adding a 15 minute hop addition, and maybe putting the bittering addition in at first wort. Lots of people do all Chinook IPAs and from what i hear they turn out great. I'm a huge fan of both Marris Otter and a real simple grain bill so i like where you're going with this one.

edb23 said:
Lots of people do all Chinook IPAs and from what i hear they turn out great.

I do one every year and split out half for a wet harvest ale with my homegrown chinook. I love this hop.

It's really a complex hop that changes every time you taste it. I also used it with N. Brewer for an interesting California Common.

i brewed something kinda similar with MO, munich and 1/2lb honey malt with all Chinook

i went lighter on the hops trying to focus on more maltyness but they pair really well together

i think that looks great but do agree on maybe moving the 5min addition back to 15/20min mark

I just kicked a keg of SMaSH Golden Promise and Chinook w/WLP002. I'm not crazy about the combo (of UK pale ale malt and Chinook), so I would not personally brew that recipe. I like Chinook in dark ales, or as a proportion of the hops in pale ales.

I would also consider a 20-15 minute addition.

Do you normally get 78% efficiency?

yes I have been ... I use the stovetop all grain "deathbrewer method" I learned on here .. I mash pretty thin and squeeze the bag .. I've been over 80% a few times even ...

thanks for all the thoughts ... I will mess with the hop additions and times before i brew it ... probably move the 5 min addition to 15 like many have suggested ... I'll try like heck to report back in a month ... seems like I always forget .... cheers :)

Back