Octoberfest Season!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewsbrothers

Reaction score
Tis the season for Octoberfests. I was excited to see when i visited my local beer supplier this weekend all the new seasonal micros had come in. All the Octoberfests and other "fall seasonals". So i wanted to take poll on everyones favorite Octoberfest and fall beers. Lets a get a good list going of the who's who of autum releases. Cheers

*BEER SNOB POST ALERT*

I have to say that michelob gets it because they are about the only ones with the cojones to call it a Marzen.

Oktoberfest is a festival, not a beer style.

SORRY!

carry on.

I've always liked Sam Adams Oktoberfest. I know its probably not the most accurate to style, or the best available...but I think its pretty tasty and I like it. I also like that I can find it on tap at pretty much any local bar/restaurant this time of year.

Anyone tried the St. Arnold October fest? I bought a 6 pack and it was decent, but I'm not sure i've ever had a proper Marzen style anyways.

I just had a Hacker-pschor and it was good. I all so tasted Ayinger and it didn't even come close to the Hacker-pschor.

It really varies year to year. Frankly the best Marzen I have had was a split, between Vetter Marzen (Only available in Heidelberg, GE) and Hacker-Pschor at their tent in Munich during the fest. I really dont care for their import all that well, so I think that the beer, combined with the fest, and the incredible thirst for festbier all played a roll. Marzen is one of my favorite styles, I do wish I could lager.

What about Spaten? They are sponsoring the Octoberfest out here in Addison next month. I think I'm planning on going.

I've always liked Sam Adams Oktoberfest. I know its probably not the most accurate to style, or the best available...but I think its pretty tasty and I like it. I also like that I can find it on tap at pretty much any local bar/restaurant this time of year.

Its hard to deny Sam Adams Octoberfest its a really tasty beer and readily available pretty much anywhere with draft beer.

There are alot of local brews that i enjoy from my area (north eastern breweries). Saranac, and Long Trail have some nice offerings. Saranac was my gateway drug into the world of Micro Brew when i was young so i have always help a special place in my beer fridge for them.

Left Hand Brewery, right down the road has the cojones to call their Oktoberfest a Marzen Lager. And man is it good!

Left Hand Brewery, right down the road has the cojones to call their Oktoberfest a Marzen Lager. And man is it good!

:mug:

Sorry to be anal! It is called a Marzen, because traditionally they were brewed in March, lagered 6 months or so, and consumed during the Oktoberfest in september.

I had a sixer of Left Hand Marzen this weekend. I'm usually not a fan of "oktoberfest style" beers but this stuff was pretty good. I'll probably be buying it again.

Like I said, it is a huge misconception that has been accepted by millions of people who just don't know any better.

It would be like calling an irish stout a "St patrick's day". Retarded, but if it was widely enough accepted, BJCP would suck it up.

I know it probably looks like I am trying to jack the thread. I'm not.

Let's drop it. Oktoberfest it is.

Like I said, it is a huge misconception that has been accepted by millions of people who just don't know any better.

It would be like calling an irish stout a "St patrick's day". Retarded, but if it was widely enough accepted, BJCP would suck it up.

I know it probably looks like I am trying to jack the thread. I'm not.

Let's drop it. Oktoberfest it is.

That would make sense if Irish Stouts were ever brewed and sold and marketed under the name St. Patrick’s Day but that’s never happened. Many breweries use Oktoberfest as a people friendly banner to help get there beer out to a larger market. Not many people cruising a grocery store and catching Marzen Lager and thinking I will give that a shot. Octoberfest is a less intimidating name for the beer style and is widely excepted across the board. But we are all impressed with your knowledge.

That would make sense if Irish Stouts were ever brewed and sold and marketed under the name St. Patrick’s Day but that’s never happened. Many breweries use Oktoberfest as a people friendly banner to help get there beer out to a larger market. Not many people cruising a grocery store and catching Marzen Lager and thinking I will give that a shot. Octoberfest is a less intimidating name for the beer style and is widely excepted across the board. But we are all impressed with your knowledge.

Oh thanks!

and you misspelled accepted.

I just had my first Staghorn of the year the other day from New Glarus Brewing. All I can say is MMMMMMMMMM..........

Actually he spelled excepted correctly. He just had a brain to finger malfunction.

I'm not trying to get people to stop saying oktoberfest, I just thought the origin of Marzen was pretty cool. I try to brew one every march and save it til September.

I always brew it in march, but it never seems to last past June.;)

There are alot of local brews that i enjoy from my area (north eastern breweries). Saranac, and Long Trail have some nice offerings. Saranac was my gateway drug into the world of Micro Brew when i was young so i have always help a special place in my beer fridge for them.

Had a Long Trail Harvest Ale on tap at the brewery last week.... very tasty, but not an Oktoberfest / Marzen.... too dark & roasty... more like a brown ale

Sorry to be anal! It is called a Marzen, because traditionally they were brewed in March, lagered 6 months or so, and consumed during the Oktoberfest in september.

No, it's not. At Oktoberfest, in Munich, it's fest bier that they serve (it's actually pretty much a Helles). Marzen isn't served at ANY of the tents. Marzen is typically, darker, and certainly maltier, than what is served at Oktoberfest in Munich.

I just had my first Staghorn of the year the other day from New Glarus Brewing. All I can say is MMMMMMMMMM..........

I liked this one so much I got a 1/4 bbl of it...

I tried the:

Leinenkugel - meh
Sam Adams - not bad
Central Waters - the "water" part was correct anyways, really disappointed...
A Micro brew (long story they are a brew pub) - not bad
And then I had the Staghorn - IMO the best so far. (and I am NOT a NG fanboy)

Back