Priming a small Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hector

Reaction score
Hi there !

I've read a lot about priming but nearly all of them give amounts of Sugar and Water for 5 Gallons of Beer .

I've made a small batch ( 0.8 Gallon ) and in two days I'm going to bottle it .

The calculated amount of Dextrose is 0.69 Oz.

I'd like to know , in how much Water should it be dissolved ?

Hector

Hi there !

I've read a lot about priming but nearly all of them give amounts of Sugar and Water for 5 Gallons of Beer .

I've made a small batch ( 0.8 Gallon ) and in two days I'm going to bottle it .

The calculated amount of Dextrose is 0.69 Oz.

I'd like to know , in how much Water should it be dissolved ?

Hector

you can boil 2-4 oz water and dissolve. .7oz sounds about right...I'm assuming you have a scale and are not guessing or you may end up with bottle bombs...

The 0.7-0.8 oz by weight sounds about right. I wouldn't use less than 1/2 cup of water. Any less than that, and you probably risk scorching the sugar. But, I would second the carb tabs. You are talking about a yield of 8-10 bottles max. You just put 3 or 4 tabs in each bottle (read the package to be sure), fill and cap. They are carbed up in 7-10 days. I use them for all my small batches.

Wondering about this myself. Brewed a small 1 gallon batch brown and wanted to prime it with brown sugar to give it a different touch. Not sure how much brown sugar to water I should use. I have carb tabs but really wanted to try something different. Any thoughts?

When I bottle small batches, I jam 1 sugar cube into each 12 oz bottle...comes out just right.

Welli had thought of just adding a tsp of brown sugar per bottle but I've read to be cautious if that due to exploding bottles and the sugar not being boiled so it's not sanitary.

Back