Chinook hops as aroma? anyone tried this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerbrew

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had any experience with using Chinook as an aroma hop near flameout?

Just wanting to know what kind of flavor/aroma characteristics it imparted specifically. I've checked out a few sites so I sort of know what to expect, but I'd much rather like to know from someone's personal experience.

I brewed a All chinook ipa from northern brewer and it tuned out really well. I actuallly ended up buying a pound of chinook leaf hops so I plan on brewing the recipe again in the next couple of weeks.

The recipe was a hit with some friends that tried it.

Forgot to mention the arrogant bastard clone I brew also uses all chinook hops and it's great

Arrogant Bastard is rumored to be 100% Chinook. So that should give you an idea.

If you enjoy the combination of Pinesol and used kitty litter then Chinook would be an excellent choice.

I've used chinook for flavor, dry hop and hop tea. It's great for an aggressive, in your face flavor that I love in an IPA

If you're a teeth-clenching hophead, you'll love it. Spicy, piney, grapefruit; in abundance.

It's been suggested to me that late chinook additions can leave a harsh agressive bitterness. I recently made an APA with centennial and amarillo early, some flavour additions of chinook flowers at 45, 30, 25 and 20, hopbursted from 25 to 0 with amarillo (slow, small additions every 5 minutes) then aroma at 0 with all three and dry hopped in secondary for 5 days with amarillo and more chinook flowers.

Came out lovely - fruity, a touch of pine and crystal sweetness with a smooth bitterness.

I've also previously made an American Brown with cascade and chinook, dry hopped with chinook. Seemed to be well received.

In summary - I think it can be fine although, like all things, I think it needs to be balanced out with other ingredients. It is very piney and resinous,

Bigfoot is dry hopped with Chinook (and Cascade and Centennial)

Latest posts

Back