Sweet Stout Deception Cream Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never tried it, but I would definitely be interested in your results with it. If it ferments out, I think it would be really nice. Since it isn't as fermentable as plain corn sugar or table sugar, just realize that it might add a little sweetness and will probably take longer to carb.

Do you one better NC - since you have obviously created a wonderful following with this thing, and we are local enough we buy our gear at the same place - when I get it bottled up I'll PM you and meet you at American Brewmaster and give you a bottle!:mug:

Do you one better NC - since you have obviously created a wonderful following with this thing, and we are local enough we buy our gear at the same place - when I get it bottled up I'll PM you and meet you at American Brewmaster and give you a bottle!:mug:

Hell. Yeah. I think a brew trade is in order. Sometime in October probably. I went on a 3 month brewing hiatus, but I will have a pale ale ready by then that I think is going to be pretty solid.

Edit: Actually, **** that, I have an RIS that I am going to post the recipe for sometime this week. It was brewed in March with KingBrianI and is getting pretty delicious. I will bring some of that. Stout for stout.

PLanning on brewing this in 2 days. The only yeast I have on hand is Wyeast 1272 American Ale II. IS it worth my going to my LHBS to pick up the proper yeast, or would the 1272 work OK on this recipe?

Klaus

Brewed this last week. Smell was phenomenal - has a strong coffee note, but you could smell the caramel and chocolate notes. Needed a blow-off. I think this is going to be the best brew I have made so far. Cant wait to get this in bottles and try it out! Thanks for the recipe!!!

I know NCBeernut mentioned he didn't like how this one ages, so I figured I would give it a try. I had one last night that had been in the bottle for nine months. Still a fantastic beer, but the coffee, cream, and caramel notes have mellowed. The bitterness of the hops is a little sharper. But overall, I wouldn't fear storing this one for an extended period.

I know NCBeernut mentioned he didn't like how this one ages, so I figured I would give it a try. I had one last night that had been in the bottle for nine months. Still a fantastic beer, but the coffee, cream, and caramel notes have mellowed. The bitterness of the hops is a little sharper. But overall, I wouldn't fear storing this one for an extended period.

Thanks for the info. I have never been able to try it at 9 months.

Thanks for the info. I have never been able to try it at 9 months.

No problem... I was actually messing around in my storage room last night & I think I found a missing 6 pack... I will hold onto that for another 3 months (to make it a full year) and give it a try side by side with a fresh batch I should have ready then.

Just bought the goodies to try the AG version of this over the weekend for brewing this coming weekend and absolutely looking forward to this beer!!! Thanks for the recipe.:rockin:

Quick Q: My LHBS doesn't carry Wyeast in the store, so I asked what they'd recommend for a sub from White Labs. The two guys there dwelled on it a a bit and came up with WLP011 European to help bring out the Malts... Any thoughts?

Here is the result - I kept well off the bottom when going from Primary to secondary, and again when going to bottle bucket. Primes with Extra Light DME.

I started bottling one clear bottle for observation, a few greens for my " carb test" bottles, and ambers for enjoyment.

IMG00217-20100921-1851.jpg

Just bought the goodies to try the AG version of this over the weekend for brewing this coming weekend and absolutely looking forward to this beer!!! Thanks for the recipe.:rockin:

Quick Q: My LHBS doesn't carry Wyeast in the store, so I asked what they'd recommend for a sub from White Labs. The two guys there dwelled on it a a bit and came up with WLP011 European to help bring out the Malts... Any thoughts?

I think the 11 will be fine. The grains already dominate this one, so I don't think that one will make much of a difference over another.

Brewed on August 15th and bottled on September 18. Can't wait to try it. This is my first brew and waiting on the bottles is so hard.

Brewed on August 15th and bottled on September 18. Can't wait to try it. This is my first brew and waiting on the bottles is so hard.

Give it 2 more weeks man. Go buy some commercial beer to take your mind off of it. I feel your pain, but it will pay off. Trust me.

So, what affect does Lactose have on the Starting Gravity, I've never used it before.

I ended up with a 5g batch at 1.060. Initially I thought I nailed my mark, but then I noticed that when I added lactose into beersmith, it upped my OG to 1.065... which gave my an eff% of 60 instead of %75.

Does this mean my SG is actually lower, and my eff is lower (and my abv)?

So, what affect does Lactose have on the Starting Gravity, I've never used it before.

I ended up with a 5g batch at 1.060. Initially I thought I nailed my mark, but then I noticed that when I added lactose into beersmith, it upped my OG to 1.065... which gave my an eff% of 60 instead of %75.

Does this mean my SG is actually lower, and my eff is lower (and my abv)?

Double check your entries into beersmith. I have this recipe entered into beersmith and my estimated OG is 1.058. And yes I do have the Lactose entered as well. ABV is merely a function of the difference between OG and FG. Efficiency is a function of potential sugar extraction from a specific amount of grains vs. the actual extraction (OG).

Here is what I have in beersmith

2lb Extra Light Dry
1.5lb Wheat Dry
3.5lb Marris Otter
1lb C60L
1lb Chocolate (upped this from .75)
.5lb Roasted Barley
.5lb Lactose

The lactose is entered in as Milk Sugar... and in beer smith this upped my OG by about 4-5pts. That's where my concern is. I'm trying to track my eff to improve my PM methods. If lactose really does up OG by 5pts and I should have hit 1.064... my eff is 10% lower then I'd like it to beer.

In the end it's still beer, just looking at the picture as a whole!

Ahh, that explains it. Yes, the lactose does add about 4-5 pts. So, yes, your efficiency could be lower. But getting 75% is very good for a PM, but I would agree that 60% is a tad low. But I figure that if you shooting for 64 at 75% efficiency and hit 60, your efficiency would be 70%, not 60%

I'll have to take a look... I have to log off and boot into windows in order to access beersmith, so I'm going off memory from last night... so I very well could be off!

The mistake I made is not paying attention to expected OG when I entered in the recipe. I couldn't find lactose until the end and didn't notice what it did. I should have made sure it was all entered in, then adjusted my DME to accommodate the higher OG.

That being said... i think things will still turn out. Being off by .004 shouldn't do to much... maybe give me a little thinner beer then it should be?

Hi everyone. I'm looking for opinions. I'm looking to brew this recipe next week from the all-grain version. Trouble is my homebrew store only sells grain in 1-lb increments, and since I hate to waste...I'm thinking of using 1 lb each of the roasted barley and chocolate malt. BrewTarget says that would put my color over the max for the style, but everything else is good. Also, I'm thinking of doing a 60-min addition of .5 oz Fuggles and Kent Goldings and a 30-min addition of the same. Would that make the hops taste ruin the beer? I'm going for balanced.

Thanks in advance, and here's a copy of the BrewTarget recipe if you're interested:

Deception Cream Stout - Sweet Stout
================================================================================
Batch Size: 5.000 gal
Boil Size: 5.750 gal
Boil Time: 1.000 hr
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.057
FG: 1.014
ABV: 5.6%
Bitterness: 28.5 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 45 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 7.000 lb Yes No 79% 2 L
Roasted Barley Grain 1.000 lb No No 55% 300 L
White Wheat Malt Grain 1.000 lb Yes No 86% 2 L
Chocolate Malt (US) Grain 1.000 lb No No 60% 350 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain 1.000 lb No No 74% 60 L
Milk Sugar (Lactose) Sugar 8.000 oz No No 76% 0 L
Total grain: 11.500 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Fuggles 4.8% 0.500 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 8.1
Kent Goldings 4.8% 0.500 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 8.1
Kent Goldings 4.8% 0.500 oz Boil 30.000 min Pellet 6.2
Fuggles 4.8% 0.500 oz Boil 30.000 min Pellet 6.2

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
WLP005 British Ale Ale Liquid 1 tube Primary

Just ordered a half batch full of ingredients from Brewmasters Warehouse last night, and I'm pumped.

My plan for the winter is to brew up half batches of many beer recipes that look good to me and bottle them all. The best of the "tests" gets a full batch and a place in my kegerator. I'm really hoping this turns out like my brain's telling me it will...

Hi everyone. I'm looking for opinions. I'm looking to brew this recipe next week from the all-grain version. Trouble is my homebrew store only sells grain in 1-lb increments, and since I hate to waste...I'm thinking of using 1 lb each of the roasted barley and chocolate malt. BrewTarget says that would put my color over the max for the style, but everything else is good. Also, I'm thinking of doing a 60-min addition of .5 oz Fuggles and Kent Goldings and a 30-min addition of the same. Would that make the hops taste ruin the beer? I'm going for balanced.

You could easily just do a pound of chocolate malt and it would be perfectly fine since it is only 0.25 lb more. For the Roasted Barley, why not just use half a pound and save the other half pound for another batch? I have a bin full bags of left over specialty grains that I dig into all the time for new recipes. I think the fuggles schedule would be fine, especially since you won't really get much flavor from them adding at 30 minutes. I would not advise adding hops any later than 30 though. I haven't tried it, but this is generally not a style that works well with late hop additions. If you want to make a stout with some hop character, take this recipe, drop the lactose, and increase the base malt to compensate. Then move your hop addition to 15 minutes. If you are just going for balance, the 30 IBU built into the original recipe will give you that. Hope this helps. :mug:

It is recipes like this that make me wish I could brew all the time and had the room for all of these great beers!

Pro tip of the week - add 2oz of chocolate extract to a keg of this.

Wife pleaser x 1,000,000

Pro tip of the week - add 2oz of chocolate extract to a keg of this.

Wife pleaser x 1,000,000

I was thinking about doing something like this with dark chocolate syrup. Perhaps split the batch.

She like coffee, caramel, and chocolate. Seems like you cant go wrong with the original.

I was thinking about doing something like this with dark chocolate syrup. Perhaps split the batch.

She like coffee, caramel, and chocolate. Seems like you cant go wrong with the original.

I've been working on a chocolate stout for quite a while, since Rogue's version is one of my favourite "indulgences", and the wife loves it too. I've arsed about with nibs, using creme de cacao, cocoa in the boil, adding baker's chocolate... you name it. But chocolate extract is the only way to fly, and finally gave me that bang on chocolatey taste I've been looking for (actually, Rogue's Chocolate Stout is just their Shakespeare Stout with chocolate extract added).

I've been working on a chocolate stout for quite a while, since Rogue's version is one of my favourite "indulgences", and the wife loves it too. I've arsed about with nibs, using creme de cacao, cocoa in the boil, adding baker's chocolate... you name it. But chocolate extract is the only way to fly, and finally gave me that bang on chocolatey taste I've been looking for (actually, Rogue's Chocolate Stout is just their Shakespeare Stout with chocolate extract added).

I have just heard so much bad stuff about extracts that I am hesitant. Did you use dark chocolate extract? Is there any bite?

I am curious about the chocolate extract addition as well. I plan on brewing the extract version this weekend but upping the chocolate malt to .75, and possibly the lactose to .75 as well.

This looks like a great beer, and I figured I would go 3 weeks primary, 1 week secondary, 3 weeks bottles. I always use secondaries (I know many people on here don't see a reason for them) but I just like using them to remove as much sediment as I can, and never liked racking from primary to bottling bucket. In addition, I may try to 2oz whole espresso beans in the secondary as well.

So to wrap it up - upping chocolate malt, lactose
considering - 2 oz espresso beans and possibly chocolate extract at bottling

The chocolate extract I used is one from Nielsen-Massey, which I just spotted at Sur la Table a while back. Can also get it from Amazon.

31CV3PerV8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I get absolutely no bite from this, but I'm adding it glass by glass. I made the stout and kegged it a while back, and just spotted this stuff and gave it a try, adding a few drops (maybe a quarter teaspoon?) to a glass, then just pouring the stout on top. It's absolutely fantastic. Next time I brew it, I plan on just dumping a bottle while racking to the keg.

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting. How many oz is that bottle? I bottle, so do you think that would still be the appropriate amount?

Also, I usually use DME for priming, do you think I should go with this extract and corn sugar instead?

I'm planning to brew this soon. When I plug in 0.75 oz of Magnum pellets at 13.4AA and a 60 minute boil into Beer Alchemy, I get 44 IBUs. I double checked with an online calculator and got a similar result. The recipe says 27 IBU. Is my software wrong? Should I be shooting for 27 IBU, or just use roughly 0.75 oz of Magnum?

Just had my first glass of the Deception Cream Stout...and first impressions are it's SWEET! More so than I was expecting.

Granted, it's only been on gas for 1 week, so it's still a little flat, and maybe the carbonation will help calm it down a little.

Lovely roasted flavor in the background though!

Just had my first glass of the Deception Cream Stout...and first impressions are it's SWEET! More so than I was expecting.
[...]
Lovely roasted flavor in the background though!

Mine came out with the roasted flavor very much in the fore. It's not bad, but I'm hoping that with time it will round out so it's not such an effort to find the other flavors at first.

I'm planning to brew this soon. When I plug in 0.75 oz of Magnum pellets at 13.4AA and a 60 minute boil into Beer Alchemy, I get 44 IBUs. I double checked with an online calculator and got a similar result. The recipe says 27 IBU. Is my software wrong? Should I be shooting for 27 IBU, or just use roughly 0.75 oz of Magnum?

Double check your boil volume. The OP's original recipe was a partial boil extract recipe. If you are figuring the boil volume at 6.5-7 gal, that would drive the IBU's up.

OK, so Mine has been in bottles for two weeks, and I am home with pnuemonia and bored to death, so I figured I would make some lables and put them on. ( I have not bothered with lables before - I use a "cap code - but I am about to go stir crazy.)

ANYWAY, I drug the bottles from the closet, and went about putting on labels, and figured what the heck - let's see where we are at.

Carb, at room temp - very good. Surprising so. Then , not being one to waste beer, I drank it.

How was it?

Well - 2 points - 1) It was all I could do not to open another one on the spot - it was good. and 2) I'm about to go to the AHS site and order the fixings for another batch! ( This will be the first brew I have made twice - but do not want to risk waking up one day to find I do not have any on hand!) :)

How was it?

Well - 2 points - 1) It was all I could do not to open another one on the spot - it was good. and 2) I'm about to go to the AHS site and order the fixings for another batch! ( This will be the first brew I have made twice - but do not want to risk waking up one day to find I do not have any on hand!) :)

I like hearing this. I have 5 gallons in week 3 - I cannot wait to taste it and I certainly cannot wait for it to carb and condition.

Smelled great when I brewed it - smelled better when I secondaried it - and I can only imagine how great it is going to taste. The waiting is the hardest part.

Is there an extract/specialty grains version of this? I went through all 20 pages and really only saw AG.

I must have missed something...

Back