Propane tank safety valve.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzy

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm currently building a Brutus Ten style brew system with ASCO valves. My concern is when the gas valve opens to allow propane to flow, the sudden release of pressure from the tank. Is it going to trip the anti tip over valve in the propane tank? I have had problems with another brew rig that I built with the valve tripping in the propane tank. We used high pressure burners. What is your expirence with propane, solonid valves, and burners? Will low pressure burners eliminate this problem? Any suggestions?

It's my understanding that there are two separate safety mechanisms involved. One is the tip over/overfill protection valve inside the tank and I don't think that one will give you any trouble. The second one is a part of the Connector and shuts down the gas flow if the hose is cut or the gas is otherwise free flowing through the regulator. That's the one that might cause problems when the solenoid suddenly opens the valve and there's a big rush of gas to the burner. The solution is to get one of the green connectors designed for high flow rates:

Propane Accessories and Fittings :: OPD Propane Valve Quick Connect

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like the OPD valve tripping, but I wasn't aware of this other safety valve. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back