Yeast Advice (Help!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phan71

Reaction score
I typically use the Wyeast "smack packs", and have never had a problem. Last night I brewed a Belgian ale. For this batch, I got the 1214 Belgian Ale yeast.

Before brewing, as always, I broke the nutrient pack inside the yeast pouch. First sign of trouble: I had no problems breaking the nutrient pack! Normally, I have to put all my weight on the sucker to get it to break. This time, it just gave a pathetic little "squish". I didn't think much of it.

As my brewing progressed, I noticed that the pack was not expanding very much. Normally, by the time I finish brewing, the packs are completely puffed out. Not this time, it had barely grew.

The directions on the back say that the pack doesn't need to be fully expanded before pitching, so when the time came, I went ahead and pitched it.

Well, today there is absolutely no sign of fermentation. No bubbles, no foam, nothing. So, I think I got a bad pack of yeast.

So, now what? The LHBSs near me are closed on Sunday, so I can't just run out and buy another one. I have some dry yeast - Danstar Nottingham, Danstar Munich, and a plain ol' Muntons. I could pitch one of those, but I don't think any of them would be right for this batch.

Should I wait until tomorrow, when I can stop by the LHBS and pick up another 1214? (Which I then wouldn't be able to pitch until a full 48 hours after I cooled the wort.) How long can I safely go before pitching?

Should I pitch now with one of the dry yeasts I have? Which one would I use?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

P.S. Also, I'm not looking for hind-sight here, so please no "you should have made a starter" replies. That's of no use to me now. Besides, I've never had to make a starter when using the smack-packs, and I've never had a problem.

Yeah, yeah, I know. BUT, I've never not seen signs of fermentation by the next day, so it's got me a little worried.

I guess I'll wait, and if I don't see anything by tomorrow morning, just stop after work tomorrow and get some more yeast.

btw - Went to see Phish at Deer Creek and Alpine last month!

I have had smack-packs swell up hard and not give any sign of fermentation after pitching for over 2 days. Just when I thought I should give up, she took off like a rocket.

Patience, man!

Latest posts

Back