Bo's Shrimps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texmedic49

Reaction score
After posting that Jambalaya recipe, I thought I would give you guys another of our favorites. Easy and good boiled shrimp and red sauce:

Here's the recipe as we put it in the cookbook----

"If you ever thought that all boiled shrimp was bland and rubb'ry, the problem is overcooking and lack of spices. Don't be scared of the quantity of spices OR shortness of cooking time. They're perfect and delicious!"

Ingredients

5 lbs. fresh or frozen shrimp, heads off (thaw in cold water if frozen) Rinse, drain and set aside.

1 beer per lb. of shrimp (drink excess, and always buy more than you need)
2 cups water
2 cups white vinegar
2 Zatarain's Shrimp/Crab boil (spice sacks, not liquid, and no substitutes)
6+ bay leaves
6 plus heavy dashes of Tabasco (no substitute)
1 whole lemon halved and "squoze", or 1/4 cup lemon juice
1 whole onion, chunked

From a cupped hand, measure the following toward the heavy side...and don't be scared!

1 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. cracked black pepper
2 Tbsp. garlic powder

Directions
Add all ingredients (except shrimp) to large 6-8 quart soup pot and bring to rolling boil. Not just bubbling, a HUGE rolling boil. Reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes or so. It's perfect when your eyes and nose are running from the fumes! After simmering, return to HUGE rolling boil and add drained shrimp. Stir well once and cover, on high heat for 3 minutes, and ONLY 3 MINUTES. Remove from heat (completely off burner) and let sit for 3-5 more minutes, depending on size of shrimp. Less is best, the batch we just cooked was a little under four minutes. Have ice ready, and immediately drain and cover with cold water and ice. Put a lid on, and let sit for at least 10 minutes. Good to peel and eat after about 15-20, more if you want 'em really cold. Drain off ice and water, and serve with cocktail sauce & melted butter (fo' de' swimps), salad, French bread w/garlic & butter, and, of course, cold beer!

COCKTAIL/RED SAUCE

This is a matter of taste and trial and error, but start with the following;

1/2 cup ketchup
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce (Lea & Perrins)
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp.+ of prepared horseradish
1 tsp.+ salt
1 tsp.+ pepper
1 tsp.+ garlic powder
3-4 good shots Tabasco

Stir well and chill. Add ketchup to taste if anything's too strong, add other "stuff" if not strong enough, but the above should put you in the range of what we fixed the other nite!

These are recipes that a friend of mine made. I will not make boiled shrimp at home any other way. The red sauce is hot, so be careful. He doesn't brew, and I wouldn't waste homebrew to cook with, so it might be worth going and buying some swill for this recipe.

Enjoy!

Back