Need help with Cream Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NateLikeBeer

Reaction score
I bought a kit a few months ago and haven't had time until now to get around to it. One problem though, directions got lost and I need some help (which will be much appreciated).

The kit is for a Cream Stout.

Here is what came in the kit -

7 Lb. Briess Liquid Malt Extract Grain

Black Patent Barley premixed grain package:
Crystal Malt
Chocolate Malt

Hops:
1oz. Fuggle Pellet Hops
1 oz.East Kent Goldings Pellet Hops

Yeast:
Northwest Ale Activator WYeast

Irish Moss

3/4c.Priming Sugar

I emailed the person I bought this from to get a copy of the directions, and am still waiting to hear back from him. Just looking for some help with this in case he doesn't get back to me right away (or at all). Thanks for any help/advice.

I'm gonna assume this is a 60 minute, five gallon partial boil. I don't know what the original recipe was, but here's what I'd do if I had those ingredients:

Steep the grains at (about) 155*F for 30 minutes in 3 gallons.

Bring to a boil.

60 minutes: Add a bit less than half of the Malt extract and the Kent Goldings. (They should have a higher AA%, so we'll use them for bittering).

10 minutes: add the rest of the malt extract, the fuggles, and the irish moss.

Top off to 5 gallons, cool to 68*F and pitch the yeast (that is dry yeast, right?)

Leave it alone for at least two weeks. Poke around in the forums for more details about this step!:D

That should make some beer, alright.:mug:

I agree with kungpaodog except for the late addition. Considering a late addition is essentially to reduce caramelization and lighten the color I'm just not sure it's necessary in a stout, and I'd bet the kit instructions don't call for it. Also, a starter would be wise with that yeast. Here's a simple way to make a starter. Just activate the yeast packet a day before making the starter, then make the starter a day before brewing.

Also, I'd steep the grains in 2 gallons of water, then sparge the grains with 1/2 gallon of warm water. You will need about 3 gallons of cold water to top off to 5 gallons. I usually buy 3 gallons of drinking water and throw it in the fridge a couple days before brewing. If you cool the wort in a cold water bath in the sink for 1/2 hr. then pour it in the fermenter along with the cold bottled water you'll end up right at pitching temp.

Actually I think he said Wyeast Activator pack.

The Activator pack is a smack pack. When you are about to brew take the yeast pack out of the fridge. (It is in a fridge right?) Don't open it. Through the package you should feel an inner package get that one to one of the corners and then smack the pack hard (but not hard enough to burst the outside packaging) The instructions are all on the package. Let stand for the time it takes you to brew and cool the wort. It should swell up. When your wort gets into the 70's cut the package open. (might want to sanatize the scissors and the pack) and pour into the wort. Worry for the next two weeks if it is fermenting enough/not enough/is too hot/is not hot enough, etc.

After two weeks check for FG boil up one cup of water disolving the sugarin it. Boil for a bit add to bottleing bucket mix in wort, careful not to splash or add too much oxygen. Bottle. Keep bottles in fairly warm place for at least first week. Done in three weeks. (probably pretty much carbed and ready after a week but try and only sample one or two before the three weeks are up.)

Rudeboy

Actually I think he said Wyeast Activator pack.

The Activator pack is a smack pack. When you are about to brew take the yeast pack out of the fridge. (It is in a fridge right?) Don't open it. Through the package you should feel an inner package get that one to one of the corners and then smack the pack hard (but not hard enough to burst the outside packaging) The instructions are all on the package. Let stand for the time it takes you to brew and cool the wort. It should swell up. When your wort gets into the 70's cut the package open. (might want to sanatize the scissors and the pack) and pour into the wort. Worry for the next two weeks if it is fermenting enough/not enough/is too hot/is not hot enough, etc.

After two weeks check for FG boil up one cup of water disolving the sugarin it. Boil for a bit add to bottleing bucket mix in wort, careful not to splash or add too much oxygen. Bottle. Keep bottles in fairly warm place for at least first week. Done in three weeks. (probably pretty much carbed and ready after a week but try and only sample one or two before the three weeks are up.)

Rudeboy

Even with an activator pack I'd still make a starter, attenuates better and doesn't create as many esters.

Oops, I missed the activator pack part. As for the late addition, I do out of habit in 3.5 gal boils in an attempt to get better hop utilization and to avoid caramelization, just like you said. I'm not sure if I would really taste the difference if I didn't do a late addition, but it give me something to feel better about.:D

Have you had a chance to make any beer yet Natelikesbeer?

Back