Spray paint + Plastic bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-Happy

Reaction score
I was reading another post about using plastic bottles for beers. I like this idea because of reusing the bottles and caps and no capper is needed.

So to extend this thought, I was wanting to reuse sanitized soda bottles. Obviously, the clear plastic is a concern for skunking.

So next thought: Spray paint them with Krylon's Fusion paint. It supposedly bonds with the plastic. This is great because of the light blocking and durability when moving and cleaning.

Now big question: Does it weaken the plastic and make for lower pressure bottle bombs? Any unmentioned and embarrassed experience out there??

Let the comments and critiques commence

Gut says yes, but my mind wants proof. Stupid brain... :D

I did some more thinking and this would work for non-carbed apfelwein or any other non-carbed fermented fruit product. This could open a lot of doors for me.

I am going to try a test soon. I have access to an air compressor and we shall see what happens.

Mostly, I will see what pressures are needed to deform the bottle. I DO NOT want to be near when one of these bottles explodes. I know they can be loud and dangerous. Can't tell you how I know, but... :D

I think it's a great idea... my only concern would be cleaning the bottles after you have them painted. Every time I clean and santize a big soda bottle I use for my blow-off tube and I put even warm water in it, the bottle distorts and shrinks and twists...

Don't know what that would do to the paint.

Even without washing it, I'm curious if something that is so easily bent or dented would then just simply flake off the paint... Hmmm...

It's a good idea though!

at least if they grenade...no shrapnel

Not true. High velocity bits of plastic can embed themselves in trees up to 50 feet away. Not to mention leaving a huge stain, if you are using Grape Fizzies.

Not true. High velocity bits of plastic can embed themselves in trees up to 50 feet away. Not to mention leaving a huge stain, if you are using Grape Fizzies.

compared to glass, I say the risk is greatly reduced. But I have yet to see a plastic bottle shatter into a million pieces.

I worked in a tire store years ago and we would pull a tire valve through the cap of a 20oz coke bottle. Our air supply was 130 psi and it would not blow them up with out setting a lift on them . Dang the good old days lol

I worked in a tire store years ago and we would pull a tire valve through the cap of a 20oz coke bottle. Our air supply was 130 psi and it would not blow them up with out setting a lift on them . Dang the good old days lol

LOL! I bet that was loud :rockin:

Your info helps me to understand what kind of pressure a bottle can take. I found a reference online that listed 100psi was good for them.

I am planning to take these up to 40psi. I figure this is a good high pressure for carbed beer/wine.

Thanks for that laugh and info :cross:

I bought a case of plastic bottles from my LHB store. It seemed like a great idea but then after using them I realized that plastic bottles are more expensive and so I need to worry about getting them back and the biggest annoyance is when cleaning them the opening is larger than a regular glass bottle and doesnt fit on my bottle cleaner very well. Now 20oz bottles may be different but thats just my 2 cents.

But they are reusable and its nice that they don't clank around like glass does.

Back