Too Hoppy Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkewedBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My weissen has been in the primary for 4 days now and its going strong, but I just realized that a Weiss isn't supposed to be very hoppy. I added 1 oz of hallertau at boil and then .5 oz more at 30. I didn't strain or use a hop bag, the hop sediment is still in the bucket as we speak...

I'm racking to secondary on Tuesday or Wednesday and I will taste it then, but do you guys think that its gonna be too hoppy because I let my hops sit in the primary for 6-7 days?

Absolutely not...the bittering compounds are only extracted while the wort is boiling. Your wheat should be fine...tho personally, that second half oz at 30 mins probably wasn't necessary.

Great, thanks. That .5 oz was in there purely for self gratifying purposes, I love pure Bavarian style Weissen but the recipe was just too simple and I got crazy and added those hops for a sense of control...

You won't be able to tell any diff from the .5 oz anyway, so if it helps you keep your self respect, more the better. ;)

Back