ideas for building my brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgrand281

Reaction score
I have an unfinished basement to set up anyway I want (thank you dear), I am putting in a full kitchen and want to do my brewery as part of it. Any ideas to make it look pro. done not like i drug it out of the garage adn put it all on the counter?

I would say a nice single tier setup with a vent hood over the whole area. A small walk-in fermenter and conditioning room.

Do you have NG in the house?

david_42 said:
I would say a nice single tier setup with a vent hood over the whole area. A small walk-in fermenter and conditioning room.

Do you have NG in the house?

I agree... but make sure you set the hood up right. many people just have a hood (it sucks from basically the center) If you put a blank in the middle of the hood and leave 3 to 4 inches open around the perimeter it will extract more efficiently

Hijack: Sorry to hear about your dog... is sucks loosing a pet. wish you the best.

yes i have ng and a stove and fridge already, just no cabinets. nothing is in place. I don't understand about the hood? I was going to run an exhaust hood out to the outside. if thats what you are talking about

Are you going propane, electric or NG? Keep it as simple as you can too. Make sure you have plenty of space between the hood and the keggles/kettles! :) I'd go single tier with 2 pumps to keep it looking sexxxy. You could hide the pumps in the drawyers just under the counter and pull out the drawyers for brewing. Go quick release and pull some hi temp tubing hoses out of the closet, hook it up and go! man, you could rig up your grain crusher on something attached to the whole set up to slide out after you open up a cabinet door. And you could have your CFC under the counter as well, maybe an electrical outlet in a cupboard somewhere to hook up a stirrplate... hehehe ohh, kid in a candy store!

bgrand281 said:
yes i have ng and a stove and fridge already, just no cabinets. nothing is in place. I don't understand about the hood? I was going to run an exhaust hood out to the outside. if thats what you are talking about

If you are planning on purchasing a standard residential stove vent hood, you'll get what you pay for, but if you are having a hood made, the entire orifice cannot be wide open. there needs to be a piece of metal which fills the majority of the orifice opening. It should leave about a 2" gap around the perimeter of the opening.

Picture it this way you only want to pull air from around the stove. kind of like a moving curtain of air. if you pull from the center like most hoods it will only catch a portion of what you are trying to vent.

Eh, one pump, 150 bucks isn't that bad, alot of people decide to use 2 pumps which always confused me, since if you just do a little extra plumbing work you can operate on one pump easily

kmlavoy said:
I don't think you need to go with a single tier. You can save some money on pumps and spend it on a conical. Here's a cool example that I've been eyeing.

http://bp2.blogger.com/_zu0lOwfoH1I/R4QxyDSc9mI/AAAAAAAAADU/TpmRqztgIu8/s1600-h/DSC00477.JPG

What size is that conical? I'm in love again (sorry War Department, wifey).

I saw my first AG 10 gallon brew at the LBS last weekend, a two tier with one pump. The LBS owner said design it simple with one pump and a couple of three-way valves.
From boil to conical hot then cooled, again basic simple. LBS owner another electrician like I am. In our trade we must think things out long before building. Many thanks Mike at B.R.E.W. in Hayward California.

I agree with overthinking it, thats how you know its right. Being a sprinklerfitter, local 281 chicago, I know where you are coming from. Just the conicals are as much as setting up everything else!

Latest posts

Back