plastic liter bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dheide

Reaction score
I was wondering, if my beer is in plastic bottles, do I have to drink the entire liter in one sitting, or can I re-cap and same half for the next night? While I don't mind drinking large quantities of beer in one sitting, I do want to enjoy my beer by spreading them out a bit. I figure it would be like a 2 liter bottle of pop right? The carbonation should last a few days before going flat, yeah? Any advise from you pros (besides ditching the plastic and using glass)?

Dave

Ya wouldnt think so eh. It should be like a normal 2 litre pop. It does go flat over time but not that fast. I have a few brews bottled in 2 litre pop bottles so I guess I will find out unless I drink them all at once.

Most HBers use the plastic 2 liter bottles when they are taking them to an outing.

I've never used them, but if I did I would try to squeeze all the air out (collapse the sides) before capping. Most of the time what causes food products to go bad is the air.

You know the hard dark skin on chocolate pudding? Next time you make some try laying plastic wrap on top (sitting right on the pudding) before placing in the fridge. When it comes out (ready to eat) there is no skin.

Just like soda, the colder the ale, the longer the carbonation lasts. Don't leave the bottles out while you are drinking, pour a pint and put the bottle back in the fridge. More than 2-3 days, you'll get oxidation though.

You'll be stirring up the sedment pretty badly on the last half of the bottle as well.

Hey 99, what if you want that pudding skin for a Pudding Skin Porter, or a belt or something?

Cheyco said:
You'll be stirring up the sedment pretty badly on the last half of the bottle as well.

Hey 99, what if you want that pudding skin for a Pudding Skin Porter, or a belt or something?
Hmmm?:confused: I shiver at the thought of your PSP or a "Big Brown Scab Stout":eek:

dheide: The sediment on the bottom is actually yeast. It contains vitamin B which is good for you.:D

Back